Painting An Aluminum Boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carlasdaddy3

Reaction score
I am looking for help on painting my aluminum boat. I believe you can do it with spray cans of paint. What kind of primer should I use? What kind of enamel should I use? I am doing white on the transom and upper part of of a semi-v. Should I use gloss, semi-gloss or flat paint? All help appreciated.

Johnny's famous post or 'primer' (if you don't mind the pun ...) on marine paints = https://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=35441&p=362069

More = https://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=43395&p=437621

You could be reading here for days; some spray, some use can paint, but applied via the roll&tip method, but most gravitate to Rust-Oleum products, where their special 'topside' paints have the hardener and the gloss in them.

I'm painting the aluminum wheels on my Toyota Sienna mini van. I'm trying something a little different as an experiment.
I stripped the last of the powder coating from the wheels then I washed the wheels dried them then wiped them with 6% vinegar.
For primer I skipped the self etching primer and went with Rust-oleum Professional series Aluminum primer spray cans and top coating with Rust-oleum Black night Metallic in spray cans.
Time well tell if this was a good choice.

I wanted to refininsh the foot of my trolling motor. I couldnt find any zinc chromate primer in this backwoods city; none of the folks in Lowes, Walmart, AutoZone, Sherwin Williams had even heard of it. After joining tinboat, I followed advice and bought Rustoleum Self Etching Primer and Rustoleum Satin Enamel. Works great so far. That said, I now see that Amazon has zinc chromate in a spray can.

I used automotive epoxy primer and base coat clear coat paint on the top surfaces. I used epoxy primer and single stage enamel on the hull. I painted my boat 5 years ago and it still looks fresh.

Latest posts