patch repair

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

watermaker

Reaction score
hi all, I have a hole in my alum boat through a previous patch. I bought a marine rx epoxy repair kit which I think the boat shop used for the first repair. any ideas how I should prep the area? should I try to chip off the patch? or just rough up and go over. boat on trailer plenty of room

personally, I'd take it to someone who is good with TIG welding and have it done once and forever.....just my .02

:)

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=362807#p362807 said:
watermaker » less than a minute ago[/url]"]thx great white when the season is over will do that

Just remember the more "stuff" you put on the aluminum, the more contamination the welder will have to deal with/remove.

That translates into more $$$.

Depending on how big the repair is, a good welder can have it done in less than an hour.

Since it's trailered, you can drop it off on the way to work and pick it up on the way home.

Decking and whatnot makes it a little harder if it's in the way. If it's just an open tinny it's easy peasy to fix.

Just some points worth considering.

:)

Definitely clean the entire area all the way down to bare aluminum. Use mineral spirits or something to make sure all the oils and junk are removed. Scuff it up with a clean stainless steel brush and then apply your epoxy.

But you'd be better off cleaning it up like I said and having it welded.

Latest posts