Patching Bolt Holes

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riverman

Reaction score
I just picked up a used 1648 jon boat yesterday. The owner kept his motor as I don't need one to fish in a 100-acre farm pond.

Looks like the motor mount holes are 3/8"..... how's the best way to seal them up? The two lower holes are pretty close to the water.

Carriage bolts and grind them down?

Thanks

You could do that, but I'd use SS fasteners and would seal them GOOD with a waterproof epoxy product, using nylon fender (wide) washers up agains the hull.

Or for a permanent fix, use the 'epoxy plug' technique here: https://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=47405&p=481416 (as it will saturate the wood inside) using West Systems G-Flex 650 ($22 for the kit) or other and then cap each end with JB Weld or other thickened epoxy.

Note, any epoxy product MUST be panted to protect from UV! ...sounds like a well-gooped bolt is cheapest option, LOL ...now that I wrote all this ...

I don't think you should use a sealant. It's better just to weld it to the mount. Then it will definitely hold on and not move while swimming. But be careful if you weld it. It is worth being careful not to damage it.
In any case, you should be happy; you will go fishing! You have found a large lake; 100 acres is a lot. I read yesterday how big is an acre of land; it would be interesting how it is in water sizes.
Tell me, where will you fish? Suddenly I will be able to get out on an Easter vacation with my son on a trip.

I agree with Dale. I've done this with holes below the waterline without a problem.

Latest posts