Picked up my first boat...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

way2fst4u

Reaction score
My name is Scott, and I'm from Central MA. I am fairly new to "real" fishing as a hobby. I've been several hundred times since I was a kid, but lately, since my 10 yr. old daughter loves to go with me, I've been really reading up to see what I can improve on. I've bit the bullet and bought a used Pelican BassRaider 10. It came with a Hummingbird Fishfinder 525, 2 swivel padded seats, and a new Minn Kota 50lb thrust motor. My daughter and I took it out for the first time yesterday and had a lot of fun.

Some things I noticed...he has the battery box up front to balance the weight, but had what looks like lamp or cheap extension cord cable from the battery to the trolling motor in the back. The cord got hot in just a few hours out. I plan on buying some jumper cables (6ga) to use instead. I think I'm losing some power in the motor and a fire hazard! I'd love to be able to take the boat apart and run the wires inside the pontoons...and off the floor.

Also, for 50lb thrust...it's awful slow on the water...maybe 3mph at best? can I get a new prop and speed it up or am I just going to kill the battery?

I'm also looking for a small utility trailer to tow it around as it's pretty hard for me to get it on the roof of my Exploder by myself. My daughter is too small to help.

I look forward to reading up and making some mods to my boat...and most of all...catching some fish!

Thanks!

Scott

Attachments

• 2012-06-20 12.28.08.jpg
    2012-06-20 12.28.08.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 345
Welcome and congrats on the new boat.
Yep, extending the battery with jumper cables is the way to go.
And a trailer will make life much easier.
Hope you and your daughter continue to enjoy the new rig.

:WELCOME: Scot and congrats on the new boat. Haven't had mine long either. I'm sure you and your daughter will get many hours of enjoyment out of it.

I think a trailer is in order it will make boating so much easier.

:WELCOME: and yes the jumper cables are the way to go a mentioned before.

Diffently get a trailer your back will thank you later.

Thanks Everyone...Jumper cables were a HUGE help today, and I only used the clamps...I didn't get a chance to put eyes on them yet. I noticed a big improvement in the power on the trolling motor. Was out on the lake with a buddy for 5 hrs...battery was still doing good when we came in! I'm sure it will be even better once I cut the clamps and crimp on some eyelets. Next is a 1/4" plywood carpeted floor and some rod holders on the back.

Latest posts