PLAN OF ATTACK

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BAY BEAGLE

Reaction score
Edited After I read the "STEEL FLEX POSTS:
Spent good part of the day digging threw old post, and taking notes along the way. Did some other "google" searches along the way too. Planning on going back to bare aluminum, and working my way forward. This is a summary of what I reaped. Please correct or add other or better options, or if my prep steps are askew. Thanks in advance: _____________________________________________

EXTERIOR & INTERIOR SIDES/BOTTOM/TRANSOME -

A). Power wash  - top layer to base primer
B). Use Nyalox Disco 541 -778 -4 wheel around all rivets to clean area.
C). Use orbital sander with 120 grit to prep surface - refine if needed
D). Check stability of each side, rivet, and water test floor rivets - fix w/ pneumatic rivet hammer & block to reseat. Add a smear of G FLEX 650 @  all rivets. On rivets at or below water line, use heat gun to work G FLEX into area.
E). Any missing rivets,  clean hole - add G Flex 650 at & in hole- insert appropriate rivet - pneumatic hammer w/ bucking bar. Add G GLEX & heat.
F). Any open holes that will not be used, mix 50/50 water and muriatic acid - spray area - use stainless brush and work into holes - let sit 5 minutes - rinse with clear water - dry & fill with MARINE TEX - cure and sand.
G). Sanding w/80 grit & using acetone as a wipe down. Use self etching primer and a tack cloth on interior & exterior of boat - Paint with FASCO STEEL FLEX w/pigment [olive drab].

After this process, attention will be on exterior silhouette of "cattails & Reed grass" painted.
Interior flooring will be Trek composite, running length ways.

Just became a member and found your post from last year. I like your plan and thinking the same for my boat. How did it go? Hold up so far? Tx

Latest posts