PolarKraft 1648 Duck Boat Rehab

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been spending some good time on the boat. As I stated in my last post, I purchased EVA foam mats for the deck, floor, and seats. I had kicked around the idea of Hydroturf, but balked at the $300 it would take to get the job done. I opted for anti-fatigue EVA foam diamond plate mats from walmart.com. I purchased 3 4'x8' sheets at $9.50 per sheet. Add in $20 worth of contact cement and chip brushes and I could refoam this thing for 6 straight seasons for the price of the Hydroturf. Before I laid the old aluminum floor in I ran new foam for insulation/floatation. I also cut out the gun box tops for my dual gun box hatches.
IMG_0674.JPG
Then I laid the foam. I used Weldwood contact cement in the red can. Stuff is potent! Cleaned all surfaces off with alcohol, 1 coat of contact cement on boat surface, one on back side of foam.
IMG_0685.JPG
IMG_0679.JPG
IMG_0680.JPG
IMG_0684.JPG
I also used some spare aluminum sheeting I had leftover to create a floor underneath the V seat for the eventual battery compartment.
IMG_0683.JPG
Oh and my favorite addition so far were 2 cup holder inserts. Picked them up for around $1.50 each. Will be perfect for that early morning coffee or cold beer in the afternoon.
IMG_0681.JPG
I am almost afraid to take this thing hunting because it will get dirty lol.

bhwadeuk said:
Thanks for the responses guys. The weather was good today so I decided to get to work. My first order was to pull the aluminum floor and get the foam out. I popped the heads of the rivets with a chisel and will go back tomorrow and drill the rest out now that I have a better view of how wide they are.
View attachment 5
As you can see the foam is pretty rough. There was also a considerable amount of sticks and mud in the floor. I guess about 20 years worth.
View attachment 4
Once I got the foam completely out, I took a shop vac to it and cleaned it up a bit. I will take a pressure washer to it tomorrow and go over it with some sort of cleaner, simple green or some such.
View attachment 3
View attachment 2
I took the trolling motor and mount off, took the gas tank and batteries out, and pulled some old wiring that served no purpose. I want a clean slate to start with. I also picked up an outboard dolly for around $40 on ebay. It seems to serve the purpose I am using it for and will pull the motor tomorrow with the help of a buddy. I also think it could be a good stand to clean and repaint the outboard. The previous owner painted over the hood decals so I am not looking forward to getting that cleaned up and removed.
View attachment 1

The wife is out of town so I will have plenty of time to work on it tomorrow and over the weekend. I am meeting with my fabricator/welder on Saturday to go over some idea I had for some gun boxes and pods. Paint will follow after that, then electrical, then some hydro turf. Thinking about some hatches for the back V seat to hide and access the batteries but not sure if I want to lose the room for a seat mount. I guess I could mount them on the front walls of the V seat but I don't want to lay on the floor in the dark if something were to go wrong with a battery. Since its a duck boat, I am thinking the less clutter and breakable items, the better. Until next time.

Le us know when youre ready for Hydro Turf!

That boat looks awesome. I'm going to check out the foam you used because I'm putting in my decks this weekend. I had wanted turf but like you I didn't want the price. Also I love the gun boxes. I'll be putting in a A large rod/gun locker on my rig soon

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Wow that looks fantastic , I want to find that flooring you used. My only worry is how hot it will get in the sun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have tried that cheap EVA flooring in my stand up kayak. Even in a kayak it had gouge marks and tears after a season. It was junk. I can't imagine what it would look like in a boat that is used a lot. I went with hydroturf for my jon this year- seems much more durable. Not quite as "squishy" as the cheap foam but definitely tougher.

Target said:
I have tried that cheap EVA flooring in my stand up kayak. Even in a kayak it had gouge marks and tears after a season. It was junk. I can't imagine what it would look like in a boat that is used a lot. I went with hydroturf for my jon this year- seems much more durable. Not quite as "squishy" as the cheap foam but definitely tougher.[/quote

How's the heat in he sun?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Target said:
I have tried that cheap EVA flooring in my stand up kayak. Even in a kayak it had gouge marks and tears after a season. It was junk. I can't imagine what it would look like in a boat that is used a lot. I went with hydroturf for my jon this year- seems much more durable. Not quite as "squishy" as the cheap foam but definitely tougher.

I could see that may be a possibility. I will run it a season and see how it does. I do tend to be pretty easy on my stuff but you never know. I have $50 and a day of labor into it so if it doesn't work out, no harm. I will go HT on the next go round!

I will say if anyone does go the EVA route, cut it with scissors instead of a box cutter. I used fresh blades and a T square and it still had uneven lines. Halfway in I realized that a good pair of scissors made a way better cut. I also used my wife's rolling pin to really apply pressure and get the mats flat to the surface.

Very nice job on the rig. Where about in Kentucky are you?
I have a 1648 G3 that I half modded. I bought it just before duck season (3 years ago) and ran it that season as it was. I already had an idea of what I wanted to do, but the extra time actually using the boat helped to solidify my ideas. I didn't want to lose my middle seat completely for passengers so I ended up cutting the seat in half and making two separate halves with a walkway through the center. The seats now house my batteries, to move some weight forward. I didn't really finish what I had planned because spring fishing season came and I got it on the water. I have toyed with the idea of putting some sort of high capacity livewell/gun box, but I hate to lose any walking room/decoy space. The boat came with a deck the previous owner had welded in and so far I have left it in place. If this weather ever figures out if it is spring or winter I would mess around with it some more since I am laid off right now.
I like the foam flooring. I wonder if you could put some sort of outdoor carpet over the foam. That way you could have the softness of the foam and the carpet would protect the foam from gouges and damage.

chrispbrown27 said:
Very nice job on the rig. Where about in Kentucky are you?
I have a 1648 G3 that I half modded. I bought it just before duck season (3 years ago) and ran it that season as it was. I already had an idea of what I wanted to do, but the extra time actually using the boat helped to solidify my ideas. I didn't want to lose my middle seat completely for passengers so I ended up cutting the seat in half and making two separate halves with a walkway through the center. The seats now house my batteries, to move some weight forward. I didn't really finish what I had planned because spring fishing season came and I got it on the water. I have toyed with the idea of putting some sort of high capacity livewell/gun box, but I hate to lose any walking room/decoy space. The boat came with a deck the previous owner had welded in and so far I have left it in place. If this weather ever figures out if it is spring or winter I would mess around with it some more since I am laid off right now.
I like the foam flooring. I wonder if you could put some sort of outdoor carpet over the foam. That way you could have the softness of the foam and the carpet would protect the foam from gouges and damage.

I'm in Lexington. Not exactly the best area for duck hunting but I figured having a boat would allow me to expand my range and options. Ran through your area a few months ago on my way to MO for some hunting.

I will probably run the foam for a season and see how it goes. If it doesn't work I'll go to Hydroturf.

Well the duck hunting in this area isn't exactly what it used to be. I am originally from Southern Illinois, but have been down here for almost 6 years now. The weather just doesn't push them down like it used to. I mostly chase divers out on Kentucky and Barkley. They are always there and in good numbers.....you also don't have to wait while they swing 30 times before they commit. Divers don't mess around!

Been doing some good work on the project. Gave the trailer a good rehab. New bunks, paint, and plastidip'ed the wheels. Still have new side guide ons and a transom saver coming. Need to add a spare as well. Got the motor stenciled. Have a 6" jack plate coming tomorrow. Order a Vance manual. Didn't want to go for hydraulic at this point. Next is electrical and then I'm done.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

chrispbrown27 said:
The trailer looks good, but man that motor looks like a factory job! What did you use?

I used Sherwin Williams KEM 400 enamel. A Wagner Flexio 590 electric HVLP sprayer. And Redlegcamo stencils. I used the Timber HD stencil. On the sprayer I used the large attachment head for the base coat and the smaller detail head for the stencil work. It really helps to have 2 people running the stencil. One to paint and one to hold the stencil in place. It's not perfect but I will say it looks pretty darn good in person. Many of the Arkansas duck boat makers use the KEM 400 I've heard. It's tough paint for sure.

Got the jack plate in today and installed. Vance 6" manual with black powder coat. Had a buddy over and we threw the motor back on. Electrical parts are trickling in. Going to install everything and start running the wiring ect.
image.jpeg

Been a while since an update. Golf season put a momentary delay in the build. Finally got back to it and ran the electrical off a 5 breaker switch panel.

1. Front 24" curved light bar.
2. Boss Audio marine stereo w/ 2 speakers and Bluetooth.
3. Interior LED rock lights (6)
4. Stern Anchor Light Plug
5. Bilge Pump

IMG_0864.JPG
IMG_0862.JPG
IMG_0863.JPG

Latest posts