Poorly neglected boat, bringing her back to service

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1960 yellowboat said:
Wow!
You got your stuff off Amazon?
I gotta remember that.
Thanks for the tip.
Next boat I work on, I'm definately checking them out!
Thanks again.

Yes, typically the shipping is faster than my installing, and in the case of the lights I saved **** near 8 bux. Let's be honest, if money didn't matter most of us would just buy a pre-outfitted boat.

Tiny update:

Added the last coat of paint to the trailer frame, no pic cause it looks the same.

Started sorting through all the bits I unbolted from the trailer.

Most of the hardware is galvanized so I am hoping to just clean the paint off of it. While the winch is rusty it seems to be in good working order since it soaked in PB Blaster so I will spray bomb it then install a new strap on it. I wish there was a cleaner looking way to mount the wheelie jack, I always hated the way the bolt on ones look. ---> Open to any suggestions!

wf9Ra8I.jpg

Once I got the hardware sorted I tuned my attention to the axle, I took the wheels off and hit them with the wire wheel. Then I went at the hubs and axle, I plan to spray bomb these too.

P0vURs3.jpg

Picked up a few spray cans to make quick work on the rest of the stuff

8qOD9oh.jpg

lFwCvuH.jpg

7jPWsf1.jpg

Started putting it back together
6v0G5Xf.jpg

Wiring
e1Glqzn.jpg

02ByPdu.jpg

YpSXpn1.jpg

Then I got the lazies

Finished the lights:
sJ4m8pO.jpg

Threw the bunks on:
DHWndUY.jpg

Next was the boat for a test fit:
f8W1lij.jpg

Still need a roller for the tongue

Everything looks great! That white paint on the trailer looks exceptionately nice. My only suggestion would be to cover the bunks with vinyl instead of carpeting as the latter will absorb salt water and cause corrosion on the hull. If you don't go out in salt, it won't matter.

This came in the mail last night $24 on Amazon

sDEEiUv.jpg

Put bolts in through the bunks, added the winch strap and winch, bolted the winch mount on the trailer, added the tongue roller assembly, bolted the jack to the tongue and adjusted it all to fit nicely.

vDknYxF.jpg

GZ2JRLQ.jpg

LDUBS said:
I'm just wondering why you didn't paint the trailer the same color as the tow vehicle. I mean, that's it in the background, right? :LOL2:

6v0G5Xf.jpg

Yup, fastest tow rig at the launch! :D

Tiny update, submitted my papers to get a title and registration on the boat. I'm not holding my breath but when I called the fish and boat office they claimed that once they get the papers and forms they first send the last registered owner a letter letting them know that I am applying for a title to give them time to object in the event they didn't actually sell the boat. If the previous owner does not respond within 2 weeks then they send a second letter to the state police to see if it was reported stolen, that takes another 2 weeks. If the police and the last registered owner do not cause any problems then I get a title and a registration and I can move on with the project, I am hoping it takes less than 6 weeks.

Thankfully the motors I got on this deal do not need titles or registration, the trailer is titled and ready to go.

Just got word from PA Fish & Boat, they sent notice to the last registered owner. They have 30 days to respond, I was told two weeks, not much I can do about it. One step closer!

checkoutmyjunk said:
Just got word from PA Fish & Boat, they sent notice to the last registered owner. They have 30 days to respond, I was told two weeks, not much I can do about it. One step closer!

Nice that they are keeping you up to date. I wouldn't expect that from any of my state agencies. Well, except for the tax board that is. Haha

A pleasant supersize came in the mail! In just 3 weeks I got my registration and stickers, two days later the title came. That is faster than I got my renewal registration for my main boat!

The boat is mine, and legal! The last big piece, or so I thought. My plan was to throw the motor on the boat and hit the local creek for my first rip, but I decided to throw it on the muffs first. She fired right up and idled, then I cracked the throttle a tad and the revs didn't come back down, then it died.

Pulled the carb and found this #-o

8D52zgm.jpg

0bPVE9a.jpg

Got it all cleaned up and reinstalled, no luck, not even trying to fire.

I am hoping that the reeds are stuck open and I just need to clean them out, any suggestions would be appreciated at this point. Would sucking rat poop and seeds like that cause a no start issue? Would pulling the front of the motor off be a good idea? I also noticed the fuel pump was leaking and all the slotted screws were loose. I guess I have to pull the lower cowling off again. I am sick of this project! this is what I get for thinking I was getting a "deal" .

That's a shame. Ugly isn't even a word for that. When I first saw the pics, I thought... what a rat's nest. Hope you get it running.

I am not happy. This was supposed to be fun.

I assumed that the rat crap in the air box was sucked in the reeds and kept them from closing.
I was correct, unfortunately.
7HbgBtt.jpg

Wa61OoE.jpg

1fZTcHe.jpg

7HbgBtt.jpg

VcVHheS.jpg

But being right is good? Not when it requires a me to remove the power head
9oCIkMk.jpg

U7I2BRZ.jpg

0ZyNACH.jpg

PzgawZh.jpg

While I am in here I pulled the water pump, it was on it's way out
aEauMqU.jpg

Not I see if I can get the gaskets I need

Reed gaskets
Fuel pump rebuild
water pump (have already)
Stack gasket
Might at well put two plugs in it

Regarding your plastic license plate bracket. I had the same thing happen. I made a new license plate bracket using 1/8th aluminum sheet, drilled four holes and mounted it.

BillPlayfoot said:
Regarding your plastic license plate bracket. I had the same thing happen. I made a new license plate bracket using 1/8th aluminum sheet, drilled four holes and mounted it.
I bought several metal lic plate brackets at my local farm and fleet store. So much better than the plastic ones.
On my tilting utility trailer I used a piece of conveyor belt belting to mount the plate. This lets plate move out of the way when tilting the trailer down.

Latest posts