Portable Tank is Leaking

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LDUBS

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
My Moeller 12 gallon portable tank has started to leak like a sieve from where the plastic fuel pickup tube screws into the tank. It seems any pressure in the tank, which is normal with the EPA caps, is now pushing gaso up through this weak connection point. The pickup tube threads into the plastic tank on very coarse threads molded into the plastic -- kind of like threads you would see on a kid's plastic toy. The seal is dependent on a round gasket. I tried tightening without any success. I suspect the thin plastic tank is distorting and preventing a seal.

This tank is now emptied and out of my boat. I have a Scepter brand 12 gallon tank on order. Scepter uses a flanged/gasketed bolt-on intake assembly.

In addition to the tank problem, the Moeller rod holders on my boat, which I originally really liked, are now disintegrating. This is craziness. Based on my experience it would seem this company has some quality issues.