Potential Winter Project Comment

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acolic

Reaction score
Hi
My son and I went looking for our next winter project. 

We came across a Arrow gear Carisma 175. 

It’s fiberglass, a deep V and looks to be from the 1980s.

It’s pretty trashed but almost free.

Trailer is in really good condition. New axle, new tires it just needs to be painted. 

Motor is a Mercury 1500 150hp. Doesn’t turn over. Needs a  teardown and rebuild. The motor is being given for free. Not too worried about the rebuild I have rebuilt a number of motors. More worried about availability and cost of parts. 

Motor wiring is so so but I am not too worried about that. All basic wiring.

Upholstery is shot but my father is an upholsterer. I provide the materials he provides the expertise. 

All the wood sides and floor need to be replaced. Not too worried about the woodworking but I am concerned with the floor.

The owner says the hull has poured foam and the floor sits directly on top of the foam. There are two  longitudinal braces down the center of the boat to move the water from the bow to the stern sump. There are no lateral braces. 

The floor looks to be 3/4” plywood with outdoor carpet on top and it’s pretty soft.

So my concern is, is it normal for a boat floor to sit directly on top of foam? Shouldn’t there be ‘joists’ to secure the floor down?

The boat is trash but it looks like most of the work is sweat labor. It’s the floor that I can’t figure out. 

Thought?

Thanks for the help. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, that is typical construction. You might want to estimate your materials cost before starting the project. The transom likely needs to be replaced, most old boats need that.,

Latest posts