PRE BUILD ADVICE

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kooldecker

Reaction score
Greetings everyone!
I am very new here and am getting ready to throw my hat into the ring of tin boat happiness/ turmoil lol. I have a preliminary plan and I was wondering if you could point out any potential probems you may see. by the way I give my word I will have a thread on my build and have lots and lots of pics lol.
Im looking at a 66 starcraft seafarer, its seen better days but no major work. there is some pitting, and some rivet problems, but other than that it seems to be really solid. my plan is to get it freshened up and just fish it the rest of this year. with a full work up possibly next year. but I want to lay a good foundation. after purchase this is my plan.
1 ) use a walnut media blast to get the entire thing inside and out to bare metal, lots of peeled paint and whatnot. plus I want to be able to put eyes on every square inch to look for leaks, rivits, pitting etc.
2)repair rivets , small holes and any other physical physical damage I can see with either rebucking, drilling and replacing rivits, and the use of aluminum brazing rods or a sealant such as 5200.
3) apply gluvit to all seams from the inside, hopefully sealing it for life.
4) paint entire thing with some sort of aluminum primer ( this is something I would love sugestions or advice for please)
5) paint the inside m plus outside above waterline, with rustoleum of some sorts. And outside below the waterline with steelflex or some other cheaper bottom epoxy or coating if I can get away with it
6) put the seats back on, strap the trolling motor on the back and take the 5 yr old fishing for the remainder of the season. and take that time to think about my decking options.
any input you guys could help me with would be so appreciated [-o< . as well as potential pitfals you may see in my plan. thanks for reading and have a great day on the water.

Welcome Aboard.jpg

That is a pretty long laundry list you have there.
first word of advice - no matter how big the samich is, take small bites.
trying to do to much at one time, you could quickly become overwhelmed and frustrated.
have a plan, make a time table, make a priority list of things to be done.
#1 - insure you have the proper papers to get it registered: (if required) then get the boat in your yard,
then come back here with photos, and the gallery can help you with any concerns you may have.

Latest posts