Pretty sweet find…

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cade

Reaction score
My son is working for the county mosquito abatement this summer and found this old 14’ Lowe sitting in an elderly lady’s back yard. He made her a $400 offer and she took it so after 5 years- I’m back to messing with an old boat (sold my 93 Smokercraft 1644 that I miss). Her neighbor said he helped her husband (who had passed away) work on getting the boat running years ago and he thinks it just needs new coils (has good compression). The rest of the boat and trailer just need some TLC. The Motor guide Stealth troller works perfect too
A couple questions-

Are coils from Amazon any good or should I bite the bullet and spend $125/each from a dealer?
How do I tell if this Merc 7.5 is a short or long shaft?
Appreciate the help!

D5971E09-4DBF-4040-A0C6-5F85644650E8.jpeg5B98A5DC-F78B-47E2-B30D-FE0D68AC6A9F.jpeg91613AC3-58D3-4B23-A9CD-C32350236DF4.jpeg44677B5D-28AF-4D1B-AEA3-95BB629A9E56.jpegCD3049CE-339E-4C25-A9E0-67C9094D44BF.jpeg07A0E3AB-4370-4316-ADD1-A288EAE85912.jpeg

I'm the very opposite of a knowledgeable expert, but the mantra of Pappy echoes in my head, "Get OEM parts, they are worth the money and the avoidance of quality control issues you might have." or words to that effect.

Congratulations on your new acquisition; enjoy the challenges and the inevitable success you will have.

=D>

i would disconnect all wires to the coils and test them first. for decades, mercurys suffered from poor wires. if you disconnect ALL wires from coils, it eliminates many things that can cause np spark, if, in fact, it has no spark. the neighbor thinks, is not the first step in diagnostics!
BTW, never heard of mosquito abatement, does that man that a govt worker can come into your back yard without your knowledge? curious.

Kismet said:
I'm the very opposite of a knowledgeable expert, but the mantra of Pappy echoes in my head, "Get OEM parts, they are worth the money and the avoidance of quality control issues you might have." or words to that effect.

Congratulations on your new acquisition; enjoy the challenges and the inevitable success you will have.

=D>

X2. I buy OEM on Amazon as well as other places.

poorthang said:
i would disconnect all wires to the coils and test them first. for decades, mercurys suffered from poor wires. if you disconnect ALL wires from coils, it eliminates many things that can cause np spark, if, in fact, it has no spark. the neighbor thinks, is not the first step in diagnostics!
BTW, never heard of mosquito abatement, does that man that a govt worker can come into your back yard without your knowledge? curious.

Do you test a coil with a multimeter or ??

I found a marine mechanic who will look at it on Monday - Mosquito abatement workers drive the alleys and look for problem areas, take samples from city/county owned lands - inspectors make contact with the homeowners. Thanks all.

I would stick with oem Mercury parts or CDI parts. Last year I had a no spark condition on my 1994 60/45 and ended up swapping out most of the ignition parts. I replaced the regulator/rectifier, coils, cdi box, trigger and stator. I had replaced my spark plug wires a couple of years ago so I knew they were good. It ended up my stator was bad. I have 3 oem Mercury coils sitting around that are good so if they are the same ones your motor takes and you're interested, let me know.

LDUBS said:
poorthang said:

Do you test a coil with a multimeter or ??

yes. its easy. and pretty darn accurate if you test them hot and look for cracks, and /or change of resistance as it heats.

I have the shop manual for those 7.5/9.8 models. I can look up the test specs if you need them. I also have a 9.8 parts motor if you need anything. Coils aren't any good unfortunately but the CDI box is essentially brand new albeit an off brand.

PM if I can help with anything.

wmk0002 said:
I have the shop manual for those 7.5/9.8 models. I can look up the test specs if you need them. I also have a 9.8 parts motor if you need anything. Coils aren't any good unfortunately but the CDI box is essentially brand new albeit an off brand.

Appreciate it! If the mechanic has any issues sourcing a CDI box (if needed) I’ll be in touch.

Cade said:
wmk0002 said:

Appreciate it! If the mechanic has any issues sourcing a CDI box (if needed) I’ll be in touch.

thumbs-up-gif-9.gif

Latest posts