Price of used depth finders?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zuren

Reaction score
I'm trying to understand the landscape of used depth finder prices I see on places like eBay.

I'm switching up depth finders on my boat and kayak/canoe. My Eagle Cuda 300 transducer is compatible with many older Eagle and Lowrance depth finders, so I thought I would keep my eyes open for a compatible, color, GPS unit but they are always $100-150.

Then I look around and can buy a similar sized, modern, color, GPS depth finder for the same money - better screen, more features, warranty, etc. Does not make sense to buy an old unit.

Are sellers banking that people are vested with the transducers they have installed? If I could find a Cuda/Lowrance S/Map model for $40-60, I'd be interested...but not at $100+.

Thanks!

The market is kind of odd.

Like you say it's hard to find a decent deal on used stuff, especially with the good deals that we see on various holidays. I've seen people asking significantly more for used Garmin 93SVs and stuff than you could get them for on Black Friday, and it seems like some people want a lot of money for stuff that is essentially worthless. Ebay is the worst for that.

When a good deal does come around, it doesn't often last long. Whenever I've unloaded used graphs, they are gone within the week.

Keep an eye open on other forums, and facebook marketplace. Have cash ready when one does come up.

If it is not a big deal to swap transducers, I would just get something like a Garmin Striker 4 for $100.

watermaker said:
i have the garmin striker4 LOVE IT. lots of tech for short money

I was looking at the Garmin Strike 4. It is was of the only depth finders I can find with GPS for around the $100 mark. From what I understand, there is no mapping...I'm not sure if I would find that annoying or not. I'm not fully versed in the Garmin feature for it to map bottom contours for the lake you are on.

Otherwise, the only other unit in that size category I have seen is those older Cudas/Lowrance finder, or it is the ECHOMAP™ Plus 43cv for around $300 with the US maps. So now knowing this, I guess the $100+ prices for a 4"ish mapping GPS is about half what a new unit will cost.

zuren said:
watermaker said:
i have the garmin striker4 LOVE IT. lots of tech for short money

I was looking at the Garmin Strike 4. It is was of the only depth finders I can find with GPS for around the $100 mark. From what I understand, there is no mapping...I'm not sure if I would find that annoying or not. I'm not fully versed in the Garmin feature for it to map bottom contours for the lake you are on.

Otherwise, the only other unit in that size category I have seen is those older Cudas/Lowrance finder, or it is the ECHOMAP™ Plus 43cv for around $300 with the US maps. So now knowing this, I guess the $100+ prices for a 4"ish mapping GPS is about half what a new unit will cost.

Yep, there are no maps on the Striker units, but I believe the Striker Plus models can draw their own.

A regular Striker will show previous tracks and allow you to drop waypoints on points of interest. Better than nothing but a contour map is nice.

Cheapest unit I can think of with contour maps would be a used Helix 5. I bought one last year for $250. The Lakemaster maps kick butt.

Latest posts