Problems with rivet ans sealant prop

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopper33

Reaction score
I getting very frustrated.

My intention is to replace a few leaky rivets and the seal a bunch more with Gluv It on the interior of the boat.

The problem I am seeing is that I believe you need to prep the aluminum for Gluv It by removing the paint around the rivets. I have heard the best way to remove the paint is by using a stainless steel wire brush. The concern I have is when using the wire brush to remove the paint, I see the rivet getting worn done. So either the paint is not effectively being removed, or the rivet is being damaged to the point I should replace the rivet. Obviously, I do not want to replace every rivet I want to seal.

Its like a catch twenty two.

Any advice? Thank you for any insight.

Huh? One only needs to remove any LOOSE paint, so if integral or sound, clean the area and apply the Gluvit then repaint those area, as UV/sun destroys epoxy products.

Thank you for the responses.

I am going to try a chemical remover, then sand with 80 grit. I am putting a sub floor over the places sealed with Gluv It, but may add a coat of rustoleom.

I read all paint needs to be removed in a number of places for Gluv It to adhere like it should.

It's very difficult to seal a rivet - or any other leak - from the inside. Water pressure from outside tends to lift the patch away from the surface. Far better is to prep the outside of the hull and seal it there. Smooth the stuff you're using for less drag - I'm not familiar with Gluvit, but used 5200. Water pressure pushes the patch against the hull and it seals far better.

Perhaps my plan of attack on rivets my be wrong. My plan is to use
G-Flex. I cleaned up around the rivets while scuffing the floor. Clean the area around the rivets with vinegar. Add the G-Flex, and heat the rivet, so the G-Flex gets pulled into the rivet, and seals it.

Years back I repaired a small jon boat from leaking rivets and also places where the ribs were litterly worn thru from dragging over rocks and sand. I found a product called "Leak Stopper" clear patch/sealer. This stuff is made for roofing and exterior metal. Goes on milky white but dries clear. I used it liberally in the worn thru ribs both inside and outside, I painted it on with a brush. After more than 5 years that stuff still looks great, the paint has worn away but the clear seal is still there holding like new. The jon boat is still dragged over rocks and sand and the paint has worn thru but not the clear seal!! To this day there is not a drop of water leaked thru this jon boat. You can buy this stuff thru Home Depot and Tractor supply and I dont know who else, but this stuff does work. Also tried some on my old Barn roof.....yep has outlasted the black roofing tar sealer by a long ways...

Latest posts