Project turned into a rebuild.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I was just outside getting the boat ready for its second trip in the morning. Replaced the fuel fittings at the motor so I had the cover peeled back. I bought clips to hold the paddle on the back of the bench so it wasn’t laying on the floor. I was going to start that next and my phone went off. I had just enough time to put the tools away and cover the boat before a big thunderstorm hit. No rain here in Texas for months so I’m not complaining. Sitting here inside looking at a new rod I got yesterday. All my catfish terminal tackle is in the boat. I hope this storm hits Somerville and adds a little water so it’s easier to launch and I can find me some run offs tomorrow. Report is the bits been slow. Moderate early morning. Maybe the storm will shake things up hopefully in a good way.

If I could would be happy to send some rain your way. We keep getting showers just about every other day. Really screwing with getting epoxy on the boat.
It was a good rain but we need more. Still under water restrictions.
Went to Lake Somerville today. The storm hit it to and the water was cooler today. Didn’t do any good. The plan was to get there before daylight. It was almost 10am. We over slept and loaded everything then it takes a little over an hour to get to it.
Tried to drift but the wind wasn’t cooperating today. When we started I had all the rods out and the drift sock and we were doing good for about 20 minutes then I saw the drift sock get slack in the line looked at the Garmin and it said 0mph. And being a weekend there where a lot of boats and jet fleas on the water. This is why I go during the week because I’m retired.
But I wanted to take the wife and she works so that means weekends.
That’s ok she’s booking us a place to stay in Matagorda for October. We usually stay on the Colorado river just before it dumps into bay. There’s a dock there with huge green lights that come on at dark and the mullet start schooling there. I catch what I need for surf fishing the next morning. Good times.

DouglasDzaster, is that XXL Onyx one of the auto inflate ones? I was looking and can't find that size.
LDUBS, here it is. I think we have a winner. 30” to 65” chest. It’s the most comfortable life jacket I’ve ever put on. The only problem that I for see is there’s not a more comfortable neck lining on the back of the neck but it doesn’t act like it’s going to rub.
95DF4571-2BBA-4D0D-9314-59D85E98A56A.jpeg6D133031-5B84-405F-982C-1C92010E0AAD.jpegE74D4B6A-CEAA-48FB-A15B-F64BEF56C080.jpeg
Even comes with the first charge kit. I bought a spare so I’d have it. The spare has an expiration date but not until Jan. 2028. The cylinders are huge compared to the A/M 25. You can set it to auto inflation or manual.The price was right too. I don’t mind advertising for Bass pro. And I like the flag. Merica!

Last edited:
LDUBS, here it is. I think we have a winner. 30” to 65” chest. It’s the most comfortable life jacket I’ve ever put on. The only problem that I for see is there’s not a more comfortable neck lining on the back of the neck but it doesn’t act like it’s going to rub.
View attachment 116836View attachment 116837View attachment 116838
Even comes with the first charge kit. I bought a spare so I’d have it. The spare has an expiration date but not until Jan. 2028. The cylinders are huge compared to the A/M 25. You can set it to auto inflation or manual.The price was right too. I don’t mind advertising for Bass pro. And I like the flag. Merica!

Thanks for circling back around with this info. It is added to my list of things I should need.

I want to thank everyone of y’all for chiming in during my rebuild. You have no idea how much I appreciate everyone of you! I’m back on the water now. Next I’ll redo the front deck and maybe add storage up there for my tackle. I’m going solo Saturday then I’ll see how it rides. After every trip I let the pressure off the tie downs while it’s sitting in the driveway. And I can tip the front end up a little with one hand. I have a trolling battery and a little 18amp hour sla batteries in the same box in the front just behind the deck as well as my anchor and trolling motor and that’s it on the bow. The rear bench is storage with ammo boxes. Tools , spare parts , big first aid kit , one box has head lamps , spot light and charging cords , spare prop in another. On starboard side in the bench under where I sit (being left hand on the tiller) is a 35ah sla battery for electrical mostly lights. The 6 gal. fuel tank is port side about about 18” in front of the rear bench. In the corner in the stern is a 5 gallon bucket with cast net and two drift socks. It launches easier now. During the rebuild I tried to figure out a way to lower the boat. Instead the front half of the boat was riding on a small 4-5” roller right in the middle. I put a cross bunk closer to the bow raising it just above that roller and raised the winch a little. The two times I’ve had it out both where shallow ramps. The last one was really shallow (Somerville is 5’ low) and the stern was barely afloat. I pushed it right off the trailer. And instead of the bunks being even with the stern they now stick out about an inch. My wife was with me both trips and sit midway and took the pole out from under the bow seat and sit in the very front. It’s ran good both times. I think that 40hp has a lot to do with it. Trying not to add a bunch of weight to the bow. Next I’ll be solo then I’ll know. I’m hoping it trims out faster Saturday than it used to with way less weight on the flooring. So I can keep it easy to lunch. There’s a couple of steeper ramps I haven’t tried yet but I bet I’ll be able to just crank it off.
Anyway I just wanted to say thanks. Like I said the front deck is next ( using Nautolex on it if I can not have enough carpet left over from the floor) then paint it so it doesn’t look so much like a clunker. I did test the carpet by dragging a hook across and it didn’t snag until it flipped over and then it came right out. By then it’ll be time to redo the bottom. I want to flip it over and strip it down then seal each rivet and put the toughest slickest stuff I can find. And eventually the transom. I’ll be screaming for help again.
Thank you all sooooo much! From the corrosion to the wiring thanks to y’all I won’t have to redo anything for a long time. I bet most of it outlast me and I can hand it down to a grandson. I hope I’m able to find a post where I can help someone and pay it forward.

Took the boat on its third trip today. Did well with channel cat.
I tried my other prop out on it. I had my fishing partner with me and he brought a little gear we added in with mine. The new floor really took a lot of weight off the boat.
We where in some decent size waves and running around 1/2 throttle working my way through the chop and the boat had no problem handling. The we came to an island that was blocking the wind so I opened it up.
I never made it to full throttle that flat bottom was cruising more like skipping across the water. Now I need a new prop because this one hit 5k rpms and I had throttle left.
Great day on the water.

LDUBS and sonny1, When we went Saturday I had on the Bass pro vest all day and we were tapping 100 degrees when we left. Very comfortable. I forgot I had it on. Arming it the night before was fun. You have to tuck/fold it just right and line up the Velcro to close it. Just pay attention when you open it. We got wet running through the chop in the water but it didn’t set it off. They say if you get rained on or exposed to moisture frequently enough it’s a good idea to replace the bobbin or it could deploy.
When I got home I put it back in it’s net bag and hung it inside in the closet. Checked it yesterday still shows green good to go.

Latest posts