Propane conversion

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a new Suzuki 2.5hp...cute little thing, 29 lbs and highly rated by users of previous years. I bought it as a Halloween present to myself to use on a canoe (plastic not tin), kayak (plastic not tin) trolling motor for my Duroboat (tin not plastic) and maybe for a 13' NRS raft (rubber not tin). I have a Tahatsu 5 hp propane powered and I absolutely love it...problem is the Suzie 2.5 is gasoline fired and it would be great if I can keep it from being contaminated by corn gas.

SO...does anyone know if a propane conversion exists for something like the 2.5? There are a number of them out there for small single cylinder gasoline engines but not that I can find for something outboardish. There is no reason that I can think of that a little ity bity 4 stroke outboard can't run on propane with the proper incentive. Anyone?

Being a new motor, the "corn gas" wont hurt anything !! It is only on older motors that have issues as the corn fuel cleans out all the crud and blocks the flow. I have an older Merc model of the 2.2 hp 2 stroke which was made by Tohotsu, excellent little motor !!! There are some small propane outboards out there, but they aint cheap !!

You may be better off buying a propane motor and selling yours at a premium.
That being said, it may not be too expensive to do the conversion, if you are familiar with that task and have the stuff to do it with.

Me, personally, I would find an Ethanol-free gas station nearby, fill up 2-5 gallon jugs, stabilize it, and run it for a year.
Puregas.org will tell you where to buy E free gas.

You may be better off buying a propane motor and selling yours at a premium.
That being said, it may not be too expensive to do the conversion, if you are familiar with that task and have the stuff to do it with.

Me, personally, I would find an Ethanol-free gas station nearby, fill up 2-5 gallon jugs, stabilize it, and run it for a year.
Puregas.org will tell you where to buy E free gas.
Yeah...you're both right. I have 5 hp propane Tahatsu and I love it but this is going on a 13' NRS fly fishing raft and the smaller motor is 20+ pounds lighter than the 5 hp. I only use non-corn 92 in all my small engines. The 2.5 has a internal tank and the motor will be mounted a ways back on the raft so refueling from the raft would be a chore. I have 3.3 Merc 2 stroke (and **** noisy) I run on my 17' cargo canoe sometimes because it is light compared to the 9.9 and I ALWAYS spill oily gas somewhere...doesn't happen with propane. With the new 4 stroke is won't have oil when I spill it.

The EXPERTS on Utube just run a propane line to the air cleaner and call it done. I'd like a cleaner/safer install.

Latest posts