Pros/cons between Yamaha, Mercury, and Evinrude 2-strokes?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zuren

Reaction score
I'm starting to keep my eyes open for a 15HP 2-stroke. My older boat can't handle the weight of a 4-stroke very well. Are there any pros and cons across the different brands when looking back to the late 1980s to probably the mid-1990s?

I have experience with my 1986 9.9 Merc. I've only ever used a Honda 4-stroke besides this motor.

There is a 1988 Evinrude 2-stroke 15HP near me for $600. The cowl is in rough shape but could probably be cleaned up. The price is on the lower end of what I see motors listed for around me. I'm thinking about it but want to be more educated on other brands first.

Thanks!

I would go with the OMC simply because of simplicity of working on and availability of parts. My second would be yamaha. But you need to look at weight, many of the new 4 stroke especially if you compare apples to apples such as electric start to electric start on the older two stroke the weight difference will be negligible.

nccatfisher said:
I would go with the OMC simply because of simplicity of working on and availability of parts. My second would be yamaha. But you need to look at weight, many of the new 4 stroke especially if you compare apples to apples such as electric start to electric start on the older two stroke the weight difference will be negligible.

Thanks! I should add that I'm not limited to only those 3 brands if there are others I should consider.

Noted regarding the weights of engines with manual vs. electric start. I am definitely focused on manual models.

FWIW Nissan OBs are as reliable as OMCs ever were or hoped to be and with a good Dealer (or onlne), parts are available, IF ever needed.

My '92 18hp NC18C2 only weighs 82-pounds!

OMC is king around here, as mentioned, because of parts availability.

Suzuki, Yamaha, and Nissan are great motors, but you'll find a lot of NLA parts, especially on older models. Mercury to an extent as well. That said, I wouldn't pass up a deal on one. I have an 89 Suzuki 75hp on my boat. A lot of parts are NLA, but many times you can find them through different dealers by searching the part number, or NOS on Ebay.

wouldn't give you $.02 for a johnnyrude. I've had a bunch of them over the years, mostly 9.9's and 15's. The only good thing I can say about them is that you can get almost (almost) every aftermarket part to fix them. OEM parts are going away slowly. Note that aftermarket stuff isn't always a 100% direct fit.

Have had one or two mercury motors (mariner included). They are just different in a lot of ways. Once you get used to them, no biggie. One thing that stands out in the Brunswick (the parent company of merc/mariner) is Mercosil blocks. Google it. I've been a victim of mercosil and it didn't set well with me to have to buy a new block. Basically the cylinder bores are aluminum but plated, and the plating can come off. 25hp only I "think" but I could be wrong.

Nissan ain't bad neither is Tohatsu. You give up some things though. They're reliable but where I felt they fell short was in comfort. Short tiller handles, noisy operation, etc.

So with all that said I still prefer yamaha. Reliable. comfortable. Ergonomic. Some of the really old stuff, parts are getting harder to get but we're talking about older stuff....1970's and 1980's. Generally speaking if you need internal engine parts, the cost to repair exceeds the value of the outboard and at that point folks generally get another motor altogether. Yamaha built a few engines for Mariner in the 1980's as well, and then there was a partnership in the 1990's and early 2000's where Mercury/Mariner and Yamaha got together for powerheads on some outboards mostly 4 stroke stuff.

on 2 stroke stuff just be aware that the 2 main causes of engine problems are (1) forgetting to put the correct oil mix in the fuel and (2) mud dauber nests that are built up from sitting. Outboards don't have air filters. Mud dauber nests are just dirt. They build their nest and you fire the motor up the nest falls apart and gets pulled right into the engine. Won't last long like that. For that reason whatever outboard you are looking at, if you see evidence of mud bug nests on the engine or under the cowling, don't spend a dime on it-find another one. Rebuilding a powerhead just isn't economical. On the oil mix, you never know who or how they've mixed their fuel. All it takes is one tank of "lean mixed" fuel to cause internal damage, which may not be apparent when you initially buy the motor, but may swarm later on. Thats the main reason I don't like 2 stroke motors.

My personal experience is later Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke. almost bulletproof. Next would be late 80s Johnson/Evinrude pretty stout and able to abuse. I've seen some from this era (25-35hp) that have a 100:1 mix ratio, I prefer 50:1 as oil is cheap, motors are not. Pick up one used, change gear oil, water pump, thermostat, plugs and fuel filter and let it rip.

My personal experience is later Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke. almost bulletproof. Next would be late 80s Johnson/Evinrude pretty stout and able to abuse. I've seen some from this era (25-35hp) that have a 100:1 mix ratio, I prefer 50:1 as oil is cheap, motors are not. Pick up one used, change gear oil, water pump, thermostat, plugs and fuel filter and let it rip.

I prefer the Johnson and Evinrudes as parts are easy to find, Mercury not so much. I have a 2018 Tahatsu 20hp and was thinking I should consider a new waterpump impeller. None to be found . I restore old Johnsons and Evinrudes and have no problem with parts dating back to the 50s.

zuren said:
I'm starting to keep my eyes open for a 15HP 2-stroke. My older boat can't handle the weight of a 4-stroke very well. Are there any pros and cons across the different brands when looking back to the late 1980s to probably the mid-1990s?

I have experience with my 1986 9.9 Merc. I've only ever used a Honda 4-stroke besides this motor.

There is a 1988 Evinrude 2-stroke 15HP near me for $600. The cowl is in rough shape but could probably be cleaned up. The price is on the lower end of what I see motors listed for around me. I'm thinking about it but want to be more educated on other brands first.

Thanks!

JMO, but if that model Evinrude has the plastic topped carb I would pass and look for an older model with the full metal carbs. Plastic ones are fine but they are easier to break and then the plastic tops are an extra expense plus the gasket. I also could never get my plastic topped carb to idle well but I put on an old style carb and it idled much better for whatever reason. Also not entirely sure when but sometime around then they changed the ignition system to the under the flywheel type (UFI?). I would imagine those ignition parts may cost a little more than the later models but I dont know that for sure.

DaleH said:
nytebyte said:
I have a 2018 Tahatsu 20hp and was thinking I should consider a new waterpump impeller. None to be found ...
I'd betcha my local Nissan/Tohatsu Dealer has one in stock ...

That's part of the problem-nothing local. Seems Evinrude and Johnson dealers were all over but Tohatsu I have none around me. I ordered it online knowing that I would be working on it myself but did'nt think parts would be hard to find.

Latest posts