Pumps

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark10409

Reaction score
Hello,
New to this forum and first jon boat. Just bought this a few days ago. Please excuse the bad pics, Wiring looks like a fire waiting to happen. My question is: I see two pumps in the attached picture. On one pump I can tell it will suck water from bottom of the boat and dump overboard. The other pump circled in red has a hose that is leading towards the bow under the floor board, and the other connection is connected to the transom that goes overboard but under the water line. There is a hole on the port side of the boat that is under the water line, what does the pump that is circled in red do? Any help would be appreciated, thanks, mark.

Attachments

• 20221016_112236.jpg
    20221016_112236.jpg
    263.4 KB · Views: 52
  • 20221016_114643.jpg
    20221016_114643.jpg
    618.8 KB · Views: 52
  • 20221016_114722.jpg
    20221016_114722.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 52
The 2nd pump is a baitwell pump, the line forward is the supply to the well and the other, even though exiting under water, is the drain, as water will always “seek it’s own level”.

DaleH said:
The 2nd pump is a baitwell pump, the line forward is the supply to the well and the other, even though exiting under water, is the drain, as water will always “seek it’s own level”.

Dale, Thank you for the info! There is a storage box on the boat, but no baitwell, so the pump circled in red serves no use.

Dale is right on the money. At some point that boat had a livewell up front, the pump would fill/aerate it. The hole in the side of the boat is the drain.

Even though an old thread maybe I'll get a bite, excuse the pun lol!
Any who, I now own a *14 ft, aluminum Mirro Craft North Port Troller* & they put a live well under back seat by transom.
Now i have no problem with aerator as works fine & does what it's supposed to do give air & replenish with fresh water! now my overflow was broken so had to buy another which of course connects to stern as aerator they both are side by side under water. so now only way it will drain is if I unscrew overflow when boat is pulled. There is no way to get circulation while on lake unless I bucket out water from live well as water will only fill overflow to a certain degree since drain under water if I have plug out and if aerator trips on and off to keep fish alive I'd have a flooded boat what can I do to rectify the situation of circulation, so I am getting fresh water instead of bucking water out every 1/2 hr. & then turning on aerator to refill and aerate?
any & all idea's welcome except for idea of timing switch as stated only so much water can be pumped in & has to go somewhere for aerator to work properly & allow well to drain while out on lake / can some type of modification be done or am i stuck being the bucket brigade? kind of a screwy set up if you ask me!

Some pictures of inside and transom might help us help you. How was the original overflow hooked up?

Even though an old thread maybe I'll get a bite, excuse the pun lol!
Any who, I now own a *14 ft, aluminum Mirro Craft North Port Troller* & they put a live well under back seat by transom.
Now i have no problem with aerator as works fine & does what it's supposed to do give air & replenish with fresh water! now my overflow was broken so had to buy another which of course connects to stern as aerator they both are side by side under water. so now only way it will drain is if I unscrew overflow when boat is pulled. There is no way to get circulation while on lake unless I bucket out water from live well as water will only fill overflow to a certain degree since drain under water if I have plug out and if aerator trips on and off to keep fish alive I'd have a flooded boat what can I do to rectify the situation of circulation, so I am getting fresh water instead of bucking water out every 1/2 hr. & then turning on aerator to refill and aerate?
any & all idea's welcome except for idea of timing switch as stated only so much water can be pumped in & has to go somewhere for aerator to work properly & allow well to drain while out on lake / can some type of modification be done or am i stuck being the bucket brigade? kind of a screwy set up if you ask me!

As Dale mentioned, water in a livewell will always equalize to the water level outside the boat. Position of the actual drain fitting makes no difference, height of the livewell in relation to the outside water level is what matters.

So aside from there being a restriction in the drain hose, there is no easy solution, the livewell is just too low. Easiest would probably be to add a separate pump out/recirculate pump, that could be set to either recirculate water to aerate, or pump it out via a diverter valve.

Yeah, I
Some pictures of inside and transom might help us help you. How was the original overflow hooked up?
original hooked up @ bottom 12 in. x1in. tube with a 45degree base connector & 3/4 in tubing running out through base of stern.
was thinking a sub pump to haul out and use original aerator to bring in and let it do its thing. like sub bilge pump

Yeah, I

original hooked up @ bottom 12 in. x1in. tube with a 45degree base connector & 3/4 in tubing running out through base of stern.
was thinking a sub pump to haul out and use original aerator to bring in and let it do its thing. like sub bilge pump
have tank pulled right now awaiting new overflow with connector and screen will try to get some pic within next day or two of transom.

Given the old one worked, something has changed with the "fixed/repaired" outlet/drain. Sounds like that is what you are addressing now.

A bilge pump IMO, is just a better bucket. ;)

Given the old one worked, something has changed with the "fixed/repaired" outlet/drain. Sounds like that is what you are addressing now.

A bilge pump IMO, is just a better bucket. ;)
? if you're referring to the old overflow old owner snapped off tube @ base no plug as he silicone outside dispense hole closed along with aerator intake!
Aerator works but he didn't use, its wire all wrapped up!He never use a base plug that fit inside of over flow tube at base either which would of allowed for use of live well but only to fill no circulation and would of had to use portable air pump / Issue being that the only thing the overrun port is good for is draining after leaving lake and would rather leave it with a valve to open & close on outside on drain -line and revert to a portable hook up to throw inside with suction cup's attach to wall or bottom or get real fancy and put a drain in by changing design which means another drilled hole with mini sub pump attached to inside bottom to suck out debris and old water & another hose with port hole on side. when comes to that I'd rather leave to marine shop or use as cooler and buy a portable live well?

As Dale mentioned, water in a livewell will always equalize to the water level outside the boat. Position of the actual drain fitting makes no difference, height of the livewell in relation to the outside water level is what matters.

So aside from there being a restriction in the drain hose, there is no easy solution, the livewell is just too low. Easiest would probably be to add a separate pump out/recirculate pump, that could be set to either recirculate water to aerate, or pump it out via a diverter valve.
yeah i was also thinking of redesign & drill another hole and set up pump as you stated for removal of old water & debris. & maybe a timer every hr. or so it would kick on & off after a few min. allow aerator to refill & do its thing.

Well as my luck would have it overflow arrived and no screen??? seller states don't have for that model ????after purchase!!! so now I have to order that he he he what i get for not dbl. checking. Any who, cannot use as tube is glued into base so no way of screwing it out to drain tank o-boy o-boy! its getting better & better > NOT!
/ For the Drain> i am just going to put back in and use an outside valve on the drain line close it off water will not be allowed to come in& drain when boat pulled by just opening valve / as far as circulation it's either a portable off the railing or a redesign with new drain port in side of boat which should of been done to begin with

Latest posts