Question about outboard/freezing temps

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikejjmay

Reaction score
Sorry, this may be a silly question. I have a mid 1980s Merc 25 xd motor. I stored it inside my garage this winter, but now that temps are warming up i am gonna get it back on the boat, which sits stored outside under a cover. Thing is, temps still drop well below freezing at night. Is this a concern? Could there be any water possibly in there that could crack the block? Do these motors (or outboard in general) just naturally drain all water in the cooling system when in the down position?

My local marine store says they put muffs on and run an antifreeze mix through before every winter. Seems like a bit of overkill if all the water drains out anyway.

Just want to make sure my motor will be safe. Thanks!

Just leave it straight up and down. I boat in New England and used to use my OBs thru the FEB late duck season. Only time I ever saw someone have a problem was when they left their OB tilted up, the lower exhaust holes in behind the prop filled up with water - then froze - and broke the housing.

Whilst hunting, when temps were below freezing, we always kept the motor in the water ... as it was warmer than the air.

You should be good to go!

Thanks! I wont worry too much about moving it outside then, will be nice to get a little extra garage space!

mikejjmay said:
Thanks! I wont worry too much about moving it outside then ...
FWIW I've been storing my OBs outside every year in cold northern New England weather for ~50-years ... and I'm only a bit older than that.

NEVER had a problem, whilst stored straight up & down anyway, plus fogged before storage, etc. ...

As long as you are sure there is no water in your lower unit you will be fine. I always change my oil in the lower unit in the fall to be sure there is no water in it and store some of my motors on the boats outdoors in North Dakota winters. I have never had a problem.