question after reassembling johnson 9.9 fuel pump

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rpijan

Reaction score
so I took my fuel pump apart because I thought it was my problem, ended up being the pickup tube in my gas tank fell into the tank. So I got the fuel pump back together using leeroys directions, the fuel in and out lines ended up pointing differently than they came out I think. The pump passed the test where I should only be able to blow air through the inlet and have it come out the outlet; and not the other way around. I noticed I have to blow pretty hard and it makes somewhat of a whoopy cushon sound when I did this. I hooked it up and by priming the bulb fuel squirts out the outlet and pulling the starter cord also spits fuel out the outlet. Should I be set to go then? I don't have a real way of testing it besides taking it out on the water but just wanted to know if it seems like things are right ahead of time. It's a 74 johnson 9.9 btw

The orientation should have ended up the same as it started, however it is technically possible to reconfigure the nipple orientations, as long as the internals match accordingly. I have been through a couple of these, and they are just tricky enough that its tough to visualise how everything interacts. Test motor, but don't be shocked if you end up redoing everything. Find a picture of how its supposed to look, and configure it that way using leroys directions. Good luck!

Latest posts