Question for you Night Fishing guys

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richg99

Reaction score
Since I rarely have fished at night..a couple of things happened last night that puzzled me.Small Tennessee lake; "Night" tournament...4 pm to 9 pm. It got pretty dark right around 8 p.m. ( Central Daylight Savings Time).

Around 6:30 or so, I caught one small bass, and missed two more on a spinnerbait. As the evening wore on, my partner and I tried all sorts of lures/worms/senkos/top waters etc. No fish, except one more for my buddy on a senko fished over heavy weeds.

Just about dusk, I am throwing the original spinnerbait tight to a very shallow shoreline. Blam, IMMEDIATELY as the lure hits the water, I hook and land another bass. Not big, but a keeper.

8:15 or so...I've got the original spinnerbait back on. Throwing it up against 1 to 3 foot shorelines. Bang...I get a big, splashy hit right up against the shore. She hit IMMEDIATELY as the lure hit the water..Probably the biggest bass I've ever "caught"....but....she got off at the boat.

Same thing ( hits IMMEDIATELY) happens maybe 20 minutes later, but a slightly smaller fish. She also pulled loose at the boat! D@#$% mostly my fault for not having a proper trailer hook, I guess. (the loss of the fish is not my question).

As I mull over the two incidents...I wonder if they hit The Spinnerbait...or would they have hit any splashing thing that dropped onto their nose in the skinny water.

We really don't know if they were bass, or maybe catfish, the way they pulled. We are believing that they were bass, because neither of us have ever caught a catfish on a spinnerbait in this particular lake. He lives on the lake and fishes it often.

The real question is...is the spinner bait the key, or is any big splashing thing thrown into the right places..... all that it takes????

thanks

richg99

Makes sense. Fish feeding at night are programmed to grab insects that land in the water and start splashing. I'd try buzz baits and surface lures next time. They'll also let you fish a lot shallower... which I suspect is where the fish will be looking for those targets of opportunity most often...

It is that initial splash that makes them hit the lure. Where you using an inline spinner or a hairpin? I like the inline as they have the treble compared to a single hook on the hairpin. Better hook on the treble hook obviously.

Hairpin style.

Now that I have had input from a number of sites, I believe that it didn't matter WHAT I threw.

Next time, I am going with a big propellor top-water that I have. Lots of hooks on that one! thanks richg99

Latest posts