question on my 35HP Johnson Seahorse.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tholdah

Reaction score
Thanks for reading my post. Attacehd is a pic of my motor. I am not sure of the year, but guessing it's a late 70's. The problem I am having now (I've posted for help on this before) is with the throttle. It's just very tight. We disengaged the linkage so I am sure the problem is between the twist handle and the linkage. I see it has grease fittings, and we plan to try to re-grease it, but are there any other suggestions? Thx.

Attachments

• motor1.jpg
    motor1.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 1,219
I have an old 20 Johnson that got really stiff. I had to take the twist grip off (held on with a screw through the side) and clean and lube the plastic spring retainer that is up inside the grip. I tried cleaning and lubing everything up to the carb but it remained stiff until I pulled the grip. Also while apart make sure the aluminum marker for 'start' 'run' or whatever is not coming loose and binding under the twist grip. Mine was coming loose so I put RTV on it, taped it and let it cure overnight. Works like new now.

phased said:
I have an old 20 Johnson that got really stiff. I had to take the twist grip off (held on with a screw through the side) and clean and lube the plastic spring retainer that is up inside the grip. I tried cleaning and lubing everything up to the carb but it remained stiff until I pulled the grip. Also while apart make sure the aluminum marker for 'start' 'run' or whatever is not coming loose and binding under the twist grip. Mine was coming loose so I put RTV on it, taped it and let it cure overnight. Works like new now.

Thanks for the response! =D>

Thanks phased, I will try taking apart the twist grip mechanism and see what I can find. I'll let you know how it turns out.

We took the twist knob off and there is no issue there. We disconnected the carb/advance linkage so we are only turning the likage from the twist handle to the end of the tiller housing. We degressed the hell out of it to get the old grease out, and the re-lubed it. It's definatly better, but still way too tight. We practically have to use two hands to turn the throttle. Any suggestions other than "deal with it"?

There are bushings that the control rods go through that don't have grease fittings. The only other thing I would know to try would be to trace each rod from the twist handle to the joint gears to the engine then the carb and see if a bushing is worn out or dried grease is keeping it from being free. One thing I did not mention in my other post was that I did remove the tiller arm with the twist grip. This allowed me to clean and lube the first rod and both gears. Sorry I cannot be of more help.