Questions about motorguide xi5 pinpoint operations

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheRookieFD

Reaction score
I am looking to purchase a motorguide xi5 to go with my Lowrance 7ti. I would like to utilize the pinpoint gps function on the trolling motor. I have some questions.
1. What exactly will I have to purchase besides the Motorguide xi5 with pinpoint gps in order to link it to the Lowrance? I have been told that I will need the Motorguide gateway. Will this connect directly to the Lowrance or will I have to purchase a NEMA 2000 starter kit. I currently don't have any Nema 2000 equipment on my boat. However I don't want to monitor or control anything but the Motorguide trolling motor.
2. When controlling the Motorguide using a graph, do you have the ability to record and store tracks? Do you have all the functions of the key fob on the graph?
I have noticed on different videos that there are two different key fobs. One is very simple and appears to come with the basic salt water trolling motor. The other is more complex with the record, anchor, and 8 numbers for storage of routs and anchor points. Where does the more complex key fob come from? Does it come with a specific model of Motorguide xi5?

Any help will be appreciated. Thank you for your time.

TheRookieFD said:
I am looking to purchase a motorguide xi5 to go with my Lowrance 7ti. I would like to utilize the pinpoint gps function on the trolling motor. I have some questions.
1. What exactly will I have to purchase besides the Motorguide xi5 with pinpoint gps in order to link it to the Lowrance? I have been told that I will need the Motorguide gateway. Will this connect directly to the Lowrance or will I have to purchase a NEMA 2000 starter kit. I currently don't have any Nema 2000 equipment on my boat. However I don't want to monitor or control anything but the Motorguide trolling motor.
2. When controlling the Motorguide using a graph, do you have the ability to record and store tracks? Do you have all the functions of the key fob on the graph?
I have noticed on different videos that there are two different key fobs. One is very simple and appears to come with the basic salt water trolling motor. The other is more complex with the record, anchor, and 8 numbers for storage of routs and anchor points. Where does the more complex key fob come from? Does it come with a specific model of Motorguide xi5?

Any help will be appreciated. Thank you for your time.

1. NEMA 2000 and Motorguide gateway
2. Mine is not hooked up to a graph, but from what I can see from research, you can store tracks (can store up to 8 without fishfinder). The remote you speak of comes standard with pinpoint, other is for WITHOUT pinpoint

If go into settings of Lowrance unit you can turn on more functions. At top of screen it will show heading, what mode you are in ie: stowed, heading lock, or anchor. Also shows percentage that motor is set or if in heading lock one can set percentage or speed you wish trolling motor to follow adjusted in .1 increments.
One of features I use most is "Go to cursor" where you touch spot you want to go to and can set speed. If I am going down a shoreline and want to just follow it I touch display down shoreline and use goto and it will follow right down shoreline. Maybe having to do small corrections with remote for any points or bays along path.

Latest posts