Rank New Spinning Reels for Fresh Water

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue Dawg

Reaction score
Had old Mitchell 300 reel forever. It’s long worn out. I bought two NEW 300’s. Pure trash. I’d like opinions on what to buy. Catfish and flounder are primary prey. 15# test line. Please offer opinions. Stay Safe and be Blessed.

Blue Dawg

Depends on your budget

For around $100
Pflueger President XT-35
Daiwa Fuego LT-3000
Shimano Nasci-3000

I'll toss this out and see if it bounces.

We have enjoyed being able to do quite a bit of traveling over the years. One thing we learned is to not buy expensive higher end luggage. Instead we buy the economy stuff and just replace it as needed. In the long run we likely spend less because the more expensive stuff doesn't last any longer than the lower end stuff. Of course that excludes the luggage with real lifetime guarantees, but those can cost 10x what I'm willing to pay.

I wonder if the same thing applies to spinning reels. Does the highly ranked name brand model priced at $100 - $150 last any longer or work any better than that same brand's model priced at $49 - $59? I don't know the answer.

LDUBS said:

I wonder if the same thing applies to spinning reels. Does the highly ranked name brand model priced at $100 - $150 last any longer or work any better than that same brand's model priced at $49 - $59? I don't know the answer.

I'll 'bounce' this back....

Pflueger President

Something they did has caused the base model ($60) to be not as good as it use to be. I own a couple older Presidents, and the new models just don't match up.
The President XT (next one up the line), on the other hand, has remained solid and dependable.

The consensus over on Bass Resource (I'm there, same name) is that $100 is the breaking point for spinning reels. Below that, your chances are iffy to get a good quality, long lasting reel. At or above that, you're getting a reel you can possible pass down to your children (if taken care of).

Realize that spinning reels also run from $20 'Wally World' specials to $700 'Bentley level' models.

MN Fisher said:
LDUBS said:

I'll 'bounce' this back....

Pflueger President

Something they did has caused the base model ($60) to be not as good as it use to be. I own a couple older Presidents, and the new models just don't match up.
The President XT (next one up the line), on the other hand, has remained solid and dependable.

The consensus over on Bass Resource (I'm there, same name) is that $100 is the breaking point for spinning reels. Below that, your chances are iffy to get a good quality, long lasting reel. At or above that, you're getting a reel you can possible pass down to your children (if taken care of).

Realize that spinning reels also run from $20 'Wally World' specials to $700 'Bentley level' models.

Thanks MNFisher, that is good stuff. It seems from what you and Blue Dawg say, the current models just don't have the same quality as the older ones. I admit the spinning reels I have all came in at under $100. BTW, I'll never get to experience one of those $700 spinning reels - at least not one I own.

LDUBS said:
I admit the spinning reels I have all came in at under $100. BTW, I'll never get to experience one of those $700 spinning reels - at least not one I own.

Ya - a Shimano Stella or Daiwa Exist are out of my price range too.

Ya - even my Supreme I got on sale for $85. If you can find a sale, the Supreme is a step up from the Pres-XT...magnesium body instead of graphite. Though you have to go to the Supreme-XT to get carbon-fiber drag instead of oil-felt standard.

I just got some sheets of carbon-fiber and cut out new drag-discs myself to upgrade all my reels...even the Mitchells.

LDUBS said:
Pflueger President

I'll agree with this statement 101%. :(

Another variable is the care & maintenance. A reel that is cared for is likely to last longer than one which isn't cared for. I have some old Penn reels (Level Wind 209) that are 40 years old or more and they are in excellent shape. I treat them with care because I like them. They were my fathers and have sentimental value to me. I have had them so long I learned how to cast a long way with them without backlashes. They are my catfish/gar reels. I clean them up after each trip and try to keep them in tip top shape.

KMixson said:
Another variable is the care & maintenance. A reel that is cared for is likely to last longer than one which isn't cared for.

Got that right too

45 year old Pflueger 640, 40 year old Cardinal 562

I've retired them, but they've both been maintained and I could put them on rods and fish with them right now.

MN Fisher said:
LDUBS said:
I admit the spinning reels I have all came in at under $100. BTW, I'll never get to experience one of those $700 spinning reels - at least not one I own.

Ya - a Shimano Stella or Daiwa Exist are out of my price range too.

Ya - even my Supreme I got on sale for $85. If you can find a sale, the Supreme is a step up from the Pres-XT...magnesium body instead of graphite. Though you have to go to the Supreme-XT to get carbon-fiber drag instead of oil-felt standard.

I just got some sheets of carbon-fiber and cut out new drag-discs myself to upgrade all my reels...even the Mitchells.

The two reels that I use all the time are Daiwa Lexa line counters. Those were over $100. Of all the spinning reels I have the most expense was an Okuma I use for surf fishing. I think I paid slightly over $50 for it. So far, I like it and it has held up well.

As for ranking reels, I wouldn't know where to begin.

BTW, I retired a Penn 720 spinning reel that I used literally back in the 70's & 80's. I would put it on a rod today.

Jim said:
LDUBS said:
Pflueger President

I'll agree with this statement 101%. :(

Thanks but that was MNFisher, not me.

Latest posts