Rebar anchor spike?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blake

Reaction score
Anyone use rebar as a poor man's power pole? I might give it a try, I already have some laying around.

Sounds like something my father would have had thought up. He could make things work with a little ingenuity. My mother told me a story about them one time when they were younger and driving out in the boonies when their car broke down. A part had broken and there was no one around to help and my father ended up whittling a part out of wood to use so they could get back home. As they say "think outside the box". That is where a lot of inventions come from.

Depending on the length needed there is no reason why it wouldn't work. Where I fish we normally have 7-8 tides so rebar in that situation would be a bit heavy. I am in no way connected with this company but did purchase the parts to make a pin anchor. It works great, you can add to it's length and was inexpensive.

https://www.mgs4u.com/shallow-water-boat-anchors.htm

There was a guy selling one on the local craigslist. He found a way to use a trolling motor mount to attach it to the boat. I think it's a cool idea.

Sent from the dust in front of you!

Texas Prowler said:
There was a guy selling one on the local craigslist. He found a way to use a trolling motor mount to attach it to the boat. I think it's a cool idea.

Sent from the dust in front of you!

A short piece of line with loops at both ends is my simple way of attaching the anchor pin to the boat. One loop over any cleat on the boat and drop the pin through the other

Attachments

• P1070089.JPG
    P1070089.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 3,481
juggernot said:
I don't think I'd want to use one on a tinny if any thunderstorms were nearby.
I don't think I'd want to be in a tinny if any thunderstorms were nearby. :lol:

The prices from mgs4u.com wouldn't be so bad if they didn't gouge so bad on shipping. Of course maybe it's the cost of shipping long items and it just seems high but I have my doubts.

No connection to this company other than the fact that I have used them and the company and products are awesome.

Checkout https://shallowwatersolutions.com/anchor_pin_mounts

You won't be disappointed with the quality of any of their products

JMichael said:
juggernot said:
I don't think I'd want to use one on a tinny if any thunderstorms were nearby.
I don't think I'd want to be in a tinny if any thunderstorms were nearby. :lol:

The prices from mgs4u.com wouldn't be so bad if they didn't gouge so bad on shipping. Of course maybe it's the cost of shipping long items and it just seems high but I have my doubts.

Shipping oversize items especially long items can be very pricey. For the heck of it I went to the USPS site and calculated shipping an 8' pole in an 8'x4"x4" box from S.C. to Atlanta (not expedited shipping) was $67 dollars with out insurance !

RiverBottomOutdoors said:
No spring in rebar. Too heavy and won't adsorb shock. Too light and probably bend.
yep all true,,, tried using 3/4'' conduit,,,, biggest problem very noisy banging up aginst the tin boat and banging around inside the boat, rebar going to have rust stains in the boat also not going to keep paint on them very easy,,,

got some 3/4'' solid fiberglass rod,,,,, https://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-fiberglass-rods/=10rcjou ,,, on one end ground a point on the other put a bicycle handlebar grip and some baseball bat grip tape on the shaft for grip in pushing into the bottom removing,,, then just tie off to them,,, work great for 60 bucks,,, also use them for push poles out on the marsh

there are too many options out there as mentioned by freek and monger to use a rusty piece of rebar, max-gain sells kits to assemble to make push poles / anchor sticks although pricey unless you combine orders with friends to offset shipping rates.

As freek said shallowwatersolutions has great deals and warranties everything, youll see all kinds of their products out there and good reviews to boot. I contacted them for a custom grab bar which they dont make and ended up buying an anchor stick and bracket years ago and they have been my go-to for boat goodies ever since. my bass fishing bud on lake okochobee uses their anchor stick and bracket that clamps to the troller shaft and its prolly the best thing hes ever used for site and bed fishing...
ive tried wang , diggin , and a few others and all that fancy foam grips and handles dont last long and the over priced carbon fiber stuff they make will deteriate in the sun pretty fast.

my .02
:beer:

I have built many shallow water anchors and brackets for both me and some of my friends. If I was you I would check a few local farm supply stores or landscaping stores and try to find some 8 foot long 3/4" diameter fiberglass tree stakes. These are used to support small trees when first planted. They are solid fiberglass poles. You can sharpen one end and make a t-handle for the other end. I also have some 12 footers, but they are harder to store and usually stick up above the gunnel more than I like. I have a couple stores that sell these stakes in my area, so it may be worth checking in your area to see if anyone stocks them or can get them for you.

johnnybassboat said:
I have built many shallow water anchors and brackets for both me and some of my friends. If I was you I would check a few local farm supply stores or landscaping stores and try to find some 8 foot long 3/4" diameter fiberglass tree stakes. These are used to support small trees when first planted. They are solid fiberglass poles. You can sharpen one end and make a t-handle for the other end. I also have some 12 footers, but they are harder to store and usually stick up above the gunnel more than I like. I have a couple stores that sell these stakes in my area, so it may be worth checking in your area to see if anyone stocks them or can get them for you.
I found out about those stakes being used by nurseries a couple of years ago when I first visited the idea of a shallow water anchor. I called all the large local nurseries and they didn't have a clue what I was talking about. I was very disappointed to learn that.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003405FVW/ref=aw_wl_ov_dp_1_6?colid=261O9Y8LMJNAT&coliid=I21XM5MZQ0E3GC

Here's a fiber glass 3\4 8ft rod I have been looking at on amazon

Sent from my LGL22C using Tapatalk

schukster said:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003405FVW/ref=aw_wl_ov_dp_1_6?colid=261O9Y8LMJNAT&coliid=I21XM5MZQ0E3GC

Here's a fiber glass 3\4 8ft rod I have been looking at on amazon

Sent from my LGL22C using Tapatalk
Now that is what I've been looking for. A reasonable price on the pole and the shipping. I can fashion my own handle and I can sharpen one end a little. Thanks for the link.

Latest posts