Rectifier for a 1980 Mercury outboard

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just bought a 1980 Mercury 50 hp outboard & boat as a project. I was told that the battery would not charge while the motor was running. I figured I would start with the rectifier since it is an easy fix if I can find one. While looking for rectifiers I can only find them in three post versions but the one one the motor is a four post. I have looked all over the internet trying to find the proper one to replace this part to see if that will correct the issue. Does anyone know of the proper part number and can you tell me how to wire it if it is a three post instead of a four post part. Attached a photo.

Thank you in advance- Justin

Attachments

• rectifier.jpg
    rectifier.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 282
:LOL2: I went back out and was goofing around with the boat and noticed the rectifier was below the start solenoid. Sorry about that. SMH.

You might consider upgrading to the CDI regulator/rectifier.

The factory rectifier is not regulated, my 84 Merc 60 would routinely get up to 16 volts on long runs. That's hard on the battery.

It would also be wise to verify stator output before you stick a regulator on it.

I had already bought the new rectifier. The battery is charging about the same as the old one. It goes up by .1 and continues to climb but not very fast. It is probably the stator. I was hoping for an easy quick fix. When I have a little time I will buy a new stator and pull the fly wheel off and change it out. Thanks for the input, all are appreciated.

Latest posts