Registering Jon Boat Question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ecm4

Reaction score
My dad bought a old job boat off a guy he worked with back in the early 1980’s. It has missing rivets and was a mess covered in tar. My dad has had it ever since sitting in his building and never used it. I decided to clean it up and remove the tar and replace missing rivets. This boat has to be made in 1960s before HIN numbers were required. I don’t know if it was ever registered before. Guy he bought it off of had a small pond and all he would use it for was to check the pipe in his pond. We have no idea of anyone owned this before this guy did. There is a metal plate riveted to the wood in the transom it has the model number and serial number listed but it doesn’t follow the HIN numbers list like they should. Manufacturer/Hull Identification/date manufactured/year which should be 12 characters. With what this tag has it doesn’t follow the that pattern and only has 11 characters. Anyone have any idea of where to start getting it registered? I looked up paperwork for West Virginia and all the paperwork has the hull number on it. DMVs are closed except certain things By appointments and this is suppose to be something you can do by mail But I can’t even get through to the DMV by calling to talk to someone. So I’m trying to figure out what to do. I don’t want to mail in paperwork that I know is not filled out correctly just to do it again. Any help or advice would be appreciated.