reliability

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay......I tried to steer you into a twin cylinder for vibration reasons. Here is a quote. One of many you can find on the internet concerning single cylinder outvboard engine vibration issues.
"No one has mentioned it yet, but there is a problem switching from a two cylinder 2-stroke outboard, to a single cylinder 4-stroke outboard of similar horsepower or weight. My 56 pound 6hp Nissan single cylinder 4-stroke replaces a 48 pound 8hp Johnson two cylinder 2-stroke. The original swing-up engine mount cannot take the increase in vibration of the single cylinder 4-stroke outboard. That vibration hammers away at the mount. Yesterday, my engine mount broke another stainless steel bolt. The first time that happened, I replaced the broken bolt with a galvanized high quality steel bolt of the same size. After disassembling the mount today, I noticed that even that high quality bolt had wear after only approximately 5 hours running time. My plan is to modify the swing-up mount by installing the largest bolts that can fit the pivot points in the mount (with modification of the cushion material). Of course, that means that the brackets will have to be drilled-out to larger size holes. Still cheaper than buying a new $330 mount built for the 4-stroke engines, and going through the hassle of bolting it to the transom. Look at the West Marine pictures of the 4-stroke mount. Looks like the bigger bolts are what is required. Just giving everybody a heads-up on this problem."
Followed up by........
"Hello Doug: You might as well get used to it I bought a new 4stroke 5hp Tahotsu (same motor) and it is a pretty bad motor, in my opinion. It shakes, runs poorly on Idle, and vibrates so badly that we feel it in our inflatable RIB. I took mine back to the dealer three times before they finaly replaced it now not only does it do all the other things I mentioned it now also wines (kinda like the owner). I dislike mine so much I won't use it. Good luck "MIC"

Then......"they" all think it is the propeller.
Do what you want but you may not be happy with a single cylinder
You may do well to read a few Profiles in here to see if a few of us know what we are talking about!

Haven't used a single cylinder 4 stroke outboard motor, only a single cylinder two stroke....so I can only speak from that aspect. I have a 1985 Mercury ( Tohotsu) 2.2 hp two stroke single cylinder motor for my jon boat and as a kicker for my 16' tinnie. As long as it is slightly above idle, there is little to no vibration !! Are 4 stroke singles more prone to vibration ?? Firing every other stroke..mabey yes?? When I hear the shaking and vibration stories, I have not experienced any of that with my 2.2 hp. When I was a toung lad, I had numerous single cylinder small motors but all two strokes, can't remember vibration being a problem!

Bought new 2006 2.5hp yamaha for my canoe. Never again. Wife had to sit on cushion cause the vibs..well..made her wet..sound like fun but it was not..shoulda bought used 3hp evinrude and rebuilt it. I'd still be runnin it.

Despite proper maintenance by 2014 it was blowing oil out the case breather into the carb airbox.

If ya are going to go 4 stroke ya need a twin..trust us..

Have really been studying small boat engines. The Mercury 6hp 4 stroke would suit me fine. Going to buy it local. A shop in Mcalester Oklahoma has a brand new 2022 and are willing to give me a decent price. Engine only weighs 57 pounds and should get me up to about 10-15 MPH which am good with. The areas where I like to fish that speed will be plenty of get up and go.

I own a Merc 6hp 4 stroke and I personally would try to steer you to an 8hp or above for one simple reason- they are smoother. Anything below an 8hp is now a single cyl motor and mine, although it's been a flawless runner, is a chunky little beast and vibrates my 3400lb, 21' boat quite a bit. The twins are a whole bunch smoother. To be fair I only use it as a trolling kicker and it's almost never ran very much above idle. At higher speeds the single cyl may not be as much of an issue, but I will avoid buying a single in the future simply because the twins are better balanced and smoother.

EDIT: I should have read the whole thread before responding- I can see it's been discussed. Well, I am proof and can confirm!

Latest posts