Relocating a battery to the bow?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zuren

Reaction score
My boat is a 14 ft. 1974 Smokercraft with 9.9HP Merc. (2 stroke), factory floor and 4 bench seats. Historically, the battery for the trolling motor and the fuel tank were located in the space between the transom and rear bench. I'm thinking about things that need to be fixed or improved as we start to thaw out her in MI.

One thing I've always noticed about this boat is that it is slow to get out of the hole. I need to check the height and trim of my motor; I'm not sure that it is 100% correct. The other thing I need to explore is weight distribution. Like I mentioned above, historically, the battery and gas can have been at the back of the boat. With my 175 lbs., that is a lot of weight at the back end of the boat. Last year, I moved the gas can as far forward as I could go with the fuel line I had. I'm not sure it made a big difference since the can is small.

I think moving the battery forward could make a bigger difference and wanted to hear people's thoughts and experiences.

I've read some opinions that having a battery forward in a boat subjects it to more vibration...and vibration ruins batteries. Any thoughts on that? I never plan to beat heavy surf in this boat; it will mostly see inland lakes and rivers.

I also need to think about where the battery will go. There is a space in the bow but not sure it is big enough for my battery. I do not love it taking up precious floor space where people sit. Modifying a bench seat could be an option, but need to keep in mind the impact on floatation.

Anyway, I'm just looking for thoughts and ideas if you did the same!

Thanks!

Maybe you could put some styrofoam (like 2 inch thick) under the battery mount to soak up some of the chop vibes.

I moved my center console forward and decided to mount the battery under the console to get the weight forward as well. For my jet tunnel hull boat, it made a decent difference in the weight balance. I had to get thicker, longer cables to run back to the motor and extend wires for the bilge pump as well. I just run the river so there isn't much pounding other than an occasional boat wake.

Attachments

• Lowe_1652_battery.jpg
    Lowe_1652_battery.jpg
    376.5 KB · Views: 237
Here’s what I have done in two boats, works great.

You can’t see the construction, but what I did was to make a small bulkhead out of plywood and shimmed the battery box to where I wanted it and encased the box behind the bulkhead in 2 part expanding foam.

The bulkhead is located where the floor ends and is covered by the deck which has the trolling motor mounted to it.

This puts about 150lbs as far up front as possible and balances the boat with a 25hp motor and my 300lbs in the back.

file.php

Something to consider is the power of the engine. If you are underpowered, moving the battery forward could cause your boat to plow through the water and not get up on plane.
I would suggest that you take the boat out and try it with the battery moved forward. (Use jumper cables if you need it to keep the engine running.)

Superlucky said:
Something to consider is the power of the engine. If you are underpowered, moving the battery forward could cause your boat to plow through the water and not get up on plane.
I would suggest that you take the boat out and try it with the battery moved forward. (Use jumper cables if you need it to keep the engine running.)

I found the opposite to be true.

1448 Alumacraft, 9.8 Merc. Loaded with two people, trolling motor, gas tank, battery, on the back, wouldn't plane, just plowed at 8mph. Moving the battery alone got it up on plane and pushing 12-15mph.

Deep cycle marine batteries have a reinforced case to withstand the pounding, they are designed for it.

Latest posts