Relocating my fuel water separator

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Douglasdzaster

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have another question about my rebuild that I need opinions on.
In the attached picture you see my fuel water separator mounted in the corner.
My question is I have a led flood light there which puts the splice within inches of the fw separator. Also adding a led light strip that will be spliced into a14awg like everything else.
All my heat shrink connectors are Ancor marine so is the wire. After the connectors I slide another sleeve over each one and shrink it. Then a bigger one goes over both wires.Then plastic loom. Probably way over kill but I don’t want to ever have a problem with my connectors.
Both lights then go to a switch panel and fuse block.
Should I be concerned about the fuel supply being right there?
My options are to mount it on a transom brace which I avoid drilling holes in or mount it to the back of the bench which I think is to low.
My main concern isn’t about the connections but about the led strip itself.
I wanted a few inches of it to light up the stern area ie. bilge. Now I’m kicking myself for not running it further across the bow instead. I could have got a couple of small leds for the bilge.
What’s y’all’s opinion about my not thought about enough problem I created?
As always I really appreciate the help through this whole project. If it wasn’t for y’all it wouldn’t have turned out as well as it has.
I just got in a hurry today because after this I just have to neaten up around the switch panel and fuse box then wire the battery to the switch I mounted and it will be completed. I want to flip switches this afternoon and make things happen. Mount the new rod holders and I’m going fishing. Finally!89E21AA9-16EF-4141-B93D-473B21793049.jpeg

If worried, route the wires as far away as possible from the filter. Or do what you say you wish you would have done originally, though I can't see how that would make a difference. On my boat electrical and fuel line share the same space. Battery & fuel tank share space under the splash well. This is a very common arrangement in small outboards.

I ran them both against the gunnel so they wouldn’t be under the filter or any lines. Everything is sealed up tight. Fuel lines are part of my check list before any outing.
I had to stop and come inside so I’ll have some dinner ready when my wife gets home from work. All I have left is to hook up the battery. Man it was hard to stop. As soon as I’m done cooking I’ll be back out there. Then I can mount the rod holders . Probably have a work light and head lamp on after dark. 😂

Latest posts