Repair welding Aluminum boats

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonny1

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
Did some homework. Discovered most boats are made out of the 5,000 series Aluminum. Two most common are 5052 and 5083 series. Very important to know what your working with when it comes to tig welding aluminum. Took a sample to work and as it turns out My boat is 5052 series aluminum. So I plan on using 4043 rod over 5356 rod due to the cracking resistance of 4043. Have two areas that need to be repairedIMG_1697 - Copy.JPGIMG_1698.JPGThe crack I can drill to small holes at the ends and V groove the crack. The area with the corrosion and stress cracks from dents will be cleaned up and patched. Need to finish wire brushing all the paint first inside and out.

When a boat cracks, I like to find the source, or reason it cracked, and address that before doing any repairs. Sometimes it’s obvious-the hull hit something, water froze on the floor, etc. But sometimes it’s due to abnormal stresses on certain parts of the hull, which may ultimately need additional bracing or support.

Just something to keep an eye on.

Agree 100%. The damage is from the hull getting hit by something. The second photo is where someone placed a good dent in the boat and then tried to straightening it out. They buckled the aluminum pretty good. Believe it should be a easy fix.

Flatten it out, wire brush it, maybe put something behind as a heat sink and weld away. You have skills most of us only dream of.

Am not that good just have a lot of practice. Monkeys could weld if they found a way to keep bananas fresh which would hold their interest long enough to get good at it.

You are being modest, but I guess it's all relative. Either way, you have a lot more knowledge than most of us. Hopefully, that knowledge will turn into success with your boat.

Finding out the bow was welded helps a lot when it comes to confidence level on repairing holes. That confirms that it is made out of 5052 or 5083. First glance I thought it was a repair job but checked into it and that was how the boat was manufactured.

Latest posts