Replacement boat canvas?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zuren

Reaction score
Does anyone have a recommendation for replacement boat canvas? I have the boat in my sig. (v-hull) and the canvas on it is very old, holey, saggy, stained, and just falling apart in some places.

The boat came from my dad and it was a custom cover for keeping it at a dock. I now keep it on a trailer. It needs to endure rain, snow, and ice if I'm too keep it outside.

I came across this site and I'm considering the ShoreFit 1200D and 600D options, but they have the Sharkskin and Sunbrella models as well. Just curious if anyone had input:

https://www.coveranything.com/fishing-boat-covers-14ft-length-68in-width/

My gunwale width is 64". I'm only considering the "trailerable" models.

Thanks!

I have a Carver Flex-fit. Same idea as the ones shown in your link. I have had it in use for four years. For the last year I've stored the boat under a big oak tree. The cover is getting kind of grody looking from all the junk falling on it, and yep bird stuff too. Other than that it is holding up well.

It uses a breathable water resistant fabric. It is not water resistant, meaning if water puddles up it will eventually seep through the cover material. So during rainy season it is important to synch it up tight so water runs off. I use a telescoping support pole & straps to give it a tent shape. I suspect the same is true of most covers.

I don't know how it might compare to the ones in your link.

If you have the time, inclination, & an old sewing machine, it's not hard to make your own. I got some sunbrella-clone material for under $10 per yard (60 inch wide). I used carpet tape to hold seams together while pushing it thru sewing machine.

CedarRiverScooter said:
If you have the time, inclination, & an old sewing machine, it's not hard to make your own. I got some sunbrella-clone material for under $10 per yard (60 inch wide). I used carpet tape to hold seams together while pushing it thru sewing machine.

Great idea. Years ago I enrolled in an adult Ed upholstery class just so I had access to a heavy duty sewing machine for making the canvass. It worked out pretty well.

I'm finally moving forward with getting a canvas. Making my own is a valid idea, I just don't have the time. I will probably go with the Sunbrella but have a question on color...

Is it best to go with a lighter color (e.g., a light grey) or are darker colors fine? I know with clothes, as darker colors fade it is more noticeable. My boat is usually in some type of shade, but I want this cover to last and look decent. The previous cover to my boat is grey, but I think the boat would look sharp with a navy blue. That being said, I'm all about function over form.

Thanks!

Latest posts