Rescue mission!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smokey101

Reaction score
Had a rough day with my 12ft v hull at the lake yesterday. A buddy and I went for an afternoon of fishing, we opted for the shallow end of the lake, because that is where they were biting, after we caught some it was going to be dark soon so we headed in.
Well the weather rolled in and the winds picked up it blew us unto the flats an we were grounded. After trying unsuccessfully to push off with an oar we had to get out and pull the boat across the flats, it was less than a ft of water. Then we hopped back in and followed the channel about 400yds to the boat ramp.
That is when we saw a pontoon boat grounded the winds had pushed them unto the flats and they wanted a tow. We pulled all the gear out of my boat, my buddy stayed at the dock and I went out to assist the pontoon boat. By now it was dark an I just had a flashlight. The wind was howling and could easily ground me on the flats again. I somehow made it to the pontoon boat. After unsuccessfully trying to tow them two times, my engine was acting up it kept popping out of gear and the prop was slipping. I thought I blew my lower unit. Then my engine quit. It was pitch dark the winds were brutal, the guys on the pontoon were hanging in to my boat otherwise I would have grounded.
I found my fuel line had disconnected, I reconnected the line and got the engine started. We decided it would be best to ferry the people to shore, and leave the pontoon boat where it was, and they could get it in the morning. First trip was two young girls and their mother, I had to hold the shift lever in forward and I made it to the dock. Then I headed back out to get more people, my engine was running better but I did not trust it and if I got stuck, there was no one to help. I decided to load all the remaining people in my 12 footer

Had a rough day with my 12ft v hull at the lake yesterday. A buddy and I went for an afternoon of fishing, we opted for the shallow end of the lake, because that is where they were biting, after we caught some it was going to be dark soon so we headed in.
Well the weather rolled in and the winds picked up it blew us unto the flats an we were grounded. After trying unsuccessfully to push off with an oar we had to get out and pull the boat across the flats, it was less than a ft of water. Then we hopped back in and followed the channel about 400yds to the boat ramp.
That is when we saw a pontoon boat grounded the winds had pushed them unto the flats and they wanted a tow. We pulled all the gear out of my boat, my buddy stayed at the dock and I went out to assist the pontoon boat. By now it was dark an I just had a flashlight. The wind was howling and could easily ground me on the flats again. I somehow made it to the pontoon boat. After unsuccessfully trying to tow them two times, my engine was acting up it kept popping out of gear and the prop was slipping. I thought I blew my lower unit. Then my engine quit. It was pitch dark the winds were brutal, the guys on the pontoon were hanging in to my boat otherwise I would have grounded.
I found my fuel line had disconnected, I reconnected the line and got the engine started. We decided it would be best to ferry the people to shore, and leave the pontoon boat where it was, and they could get it in the morning. First trip was two young girls and their mother, I had to hold the shift lever in forward and I made it to the dock. Then I headed back out to get more people, my engine was running better but I did not trust it and if I got stuck, there was no one to help. I decided to load all the remaining people in my 12 footer
Continued:
I was seriously overloaded but with myself a large woman and three grown men. I managed to get them all to shore safely. After I pulled my boat out, I found weeds wrapped around the prop were causing the problem

Attachments

• 0423230805.jpg
    0423230805.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 0423230806a.jpg
    0423230806a.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 0
Continued:
I was seriously overloaded but with myself a large woman and three grown men. I managed to get them all to shore safely. After I pulled my boat out, I found weeds wrapped around the prop were causing the problem
Well, that's a story for the memory books !! You're a real live "hero" in my book. And all w/ that little 5 hp. It reminds me of that time I saw the "Fools Child" (12' jonboat) pulling an Eliminator Jet boat up the Colorado River near Yuma, AZ. They may be small boats & motors but the hearts are giant !!
God bless you,
and thanks for sharing !!

Well, that's a story for the memory books !! You're a real live "hero" in my book. And all w/ that little 5 hp. It reminds me of that time I saw the "Fools Child" (12' jonboat) pulling an Eliminator Jet boat up the Colorado River near Yuma, AZ. They may be small boats & motors but the hearts are giant !!
God bless you,
GIANT HEARTS & HEROES on both ends of the tiller

God bless you,
I've had the same Nissan now for well over 20 years. Bought used as it had been pushing a 12' PortaBote as a yacht tender. Saltwater didn't faze her at all.
Steph they are tough little buggers. I can relate to Smokey's "awakening" regarding a weed choked prop. This little Nissan saw more than it's share of time on the lower Colorado river North of Yuma. She's pushed and plowed her way into more backwater's in that section than most have canoed.
Smokey you did well. What with all that came about during this rescue foray have you any additions or changes you'll make to your onboard carry gear?

I've had the same Nissan now for well over 20 years. Bought used as it had been pushing a 12' PortaBote as a yacht tender. Saltwater didn't faze her at all.
Steph they are tough little buggers. I can relate to Smokey's "awakening" regarding a weed choked prop. This little Nissan saw more than it's share of time on the lower Colorado river North of Yuma. She's pushed and plowed her way into more backwater's in that section than most have canoed.
Smokey you did well. What with all that came about during this rescue foray have you any additions or changes you'll make to your onboard carry ge

Smokey you did well. What with all that came about during this rescue foray have you any additions or changes you'll make to your onboard carry gea

I got all the weeds untangled today and pulled the prop everything looked ok just dirty and greasy cleaned up the shaft and changed the lower unit lube, seems to be good now.

Attachments

• 0424231717_HDR.jpg
    0424231717_HDR.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 0
Quite the heroic effort you did to help those people. Something to tell the grandkids.

and love the modesty the next morning, let see whats wrong with my motor. :)

Latest posts