RichLine model 15 project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smokey101

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have a newly acquired Richline 14ft that I am getting ready to use as my main fishing boat it has a 9.9 Johnson seams to run good but I just got the boat two weeks ago and have not had it in the water yet. I posted another thread about the trailer but this thread is about the boat and I have some questions I hope you guys can help me with.
I filled the boat with water today and found some leaks. The leaks are mainly along the seams that run along both sides for the entire length of the boat see pictures, I need help in choosing the best product and how to apply it.

Attachments

• Message_1682719624858.jpg
    Message_1682719624858.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Message_1682719472578.jpg
    Message_1682719472578.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 0
I think I will go with gluvit on the inside yesterday I disassembled everything on the boat and found other issues, but nothing too bad, I will also need to replace the seats and the styrofoam because it is breaking down. The original wood on the transom is in great condition. My intention is to keep the boat original, not to try to make it into a bass boat.

Attachments

• 0429231953.jpg
    0429231953.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 1
There is also a product fom the makers of " goop" that is painted on the outside bottom that has a fiber in it to sealup small holes and leaks. So far a good following from my reading...

I have been moving along with the project, I painted the hull below the water line, after reading a lot of posts on this sight, I used self etching primer and then sprayed rust oleum thinned with reducer and used a hardner additive. I ham happy with the results.

Attachments

• 0506231128b.jpg
    0506231128b.jpg
    334.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 0506231755_HDR.jpg
    0506231755_HDR.jpg
    344.3 KB · Views: 0
I can't seem to find any Styrofoam for flotation at a good price, I need 4in thick for this project. I can get 2 inch and double it but original is 4in, any suggestions?

I am rebuilding a 14 ft modified V bottom. Your lucky my boat has several coats of paint that needs to be removed. Plan on the same keeping the boat original.
I don't know if I am lucky, I paid a good amount for the boat but it turned into a lot more work than I expected

Looks great!
I use the same recipe for painting and have been extremely pleased with the results.
For what it's worth, I use a 4:3:1 ratio over an etching primer and a cheapo Harbor Freight gun. It's a formula I stole from the agriculture world years ago.
The hardener can make cheap rustoleum into essentially a 2k product. It's an impressive result for durability on the cost/benefit scale.

Gluvit is a good choice, too. Especially if it's between seams and not just individual rivets.
(You'll also want to plan on painting over the Gluvit as it's not UV protected)
If it's individual rivets that are the culprit, I typically try to just rebuck them at first, replace if they're ovaled out - just drill to one size larger, and then Gluvit, Coat It, or West Systems GFlex, depending on the access and scenario. All are different tools for different scenarios and all work great in my experience. (be aware if you brush on the Gluvit, the brush marks will show through the over-paint, if that matters to you)

Also for what it's worth, the closed cell blue foam boards found at your local box store have been a proven homerun for a flotation alternative.
I even recently found a pile of surplus boards on craigslist.
Available in choice of thickness, does not absorb, does not fragment, and able to be cut with precision. (neat cutting hacks available on the youtube)
*Keep in mind water flow from bow to stern.
Sometimes it's better to sandwich thin cuts side-to-side running fore to aft rather than a flat piece laid down horizontally.
(provides default drain channels between the cut pieces)

Carry on, sir. It looks to me like you've got a nice rig in the making.

Looks great!
I use the same recipe for painting and have been extremely pleased with the results.
For what it's worth, I use a 4:3:1 ratio over an etching primer and a cheapo Harbor Freight gun. It's a formula I stole from the agriculture world years ago.

I like what you say about the 4:3:1 ratio. Does that mean paint : thinner : hardener?

Looks great!
The hardener can make cheap rustoleum into essentially a 2k product. It's an impressive result for durability on the cost/benefit scale.

Gluvit is a good choice, too. Especially if it's between seams and not just individual rivets.
(You'll also want to plan on painting over the Gluvit as it's not UV protected)
If it's individual rivets that are the culprit, I typically try to just rebuck them at first, replace if they're ovaled out - just drill to one size larger, and then Gluvit, Coat It, or West Systems GFlex, depending on the access and scenario. All are different tools for different scenarios and all work great in my experience. (be aware if you brush on the Gluvit, the brush marks will show through the over-paint, if that matters to you)

Also for what it's worth, the closed cell blue foam boards found at your local box store have been a proven homerun for a flotation alternative.
I even recently found a pile of surplus boards on craigslist.
Available in choice of thickness, does not absorb, does not fragment, and able to be cut with precision. (neat cutting hacks available on the youtube)
*Keep in mind water flow from bow to stern.
Sometimes it's better to sandwich thin cuts side-to-side running fore to aft rather than a flat piece laid down horizontally.
(provides default drain channels between the cut pieces)

Carry on, sir. It looks to me like you've got a nice rig in the making.
Thanks for the encouragement, I also used a paint gun from harbor freight, I am not sure a bout close/open cell Styrofoam? I will need to look that up.

I like what you say about the 4:3:1 ratio. Does that mean paint : thinner : hardener?
It does. I use oil-based Rustolem or Magik tractor paint, acetone, and the hardener found at Tractor Supply.
The oil-based can be color blended, too.

It does. I use oil-based Rustolem or Magik tractor paint, acetone, and the hardener found at Tractor Supply.
The oil-based can be color blended, too.
I was real close To that: rustolem oil base paint color aluminum, Home depot, Magik reducer & Magik hardner from tractor supply. The self etching primer was from harbor freight. The mix was more like 4-2-1 because the paint was a little thin.

My gluvit finally came in and I sealed thé inside seams un the boat, I am confident i have addressed the major leaks. I got it back on the trailer and installed the new bench seats i made. I am rushing this project through so I can start using the boat, I plan on painting the inside after the gulvit had cured and I am sure I don't have leaks. I used 5/8 plywood for the seats to save weight. And painted both sides with rustoleum high gloss smoke grey.
Plan on mounting the engine tomorrow and doing some maintenance to it
I hope To start sea trials next weekend.

Attachments

• 0511232033a.jpg
    0511232033a.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 0511232044.jpg
    0511232044.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 0
I took the boat Stonelick lake tonight. It is à small electric motor only lake near me. I am really liking the stability of this boat. The good news is i did not see Any leaks

Attachments

• 0512231933_HDR.jpg
    0512231933_HDR.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 0512232008_HDR.jpg
    0512232008_HDR.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 1
I have not posted in a while because I have been using the boat, I had a leak that seemed to be getting worse. After about 5 hours on the water it would take on enough water to get your feet wet and make a slip hazard, in fact I slipped in the boat and hurt my big toe pretty bad.
So I put some water in the boat and found a drip coming out of a drain hole I had drilled in one of the ribs in the bottom of the boat. That narrowed it down but did not pinpoint the leak. I tried blowing compressed air into the drain hole and looking for bubbles with water in the boat, still couldn't find the leak. I was getting ready to turn the boat over and fill the rib with gluvit, but first I climbed into the boat when it was dry and closely inspect each rivet that held on the rib. One rivet looked suspect it was not loose but did not look like a good seal, I coated it with JB weld the after it dried I leak tested it and the drip is gone!

Attachments

• 0509231709.jpg
    0509231709.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts