Right Handed People and Spinning Reels

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
xmytruck said:
DocWatson said:
Using a spinning reel, whose handle is not reversable, to crank with your right hand is kinda like walking around all day like this.....
Well I have been walking like that since I was six, my first reel was a zebco 33 and I cranked with my right. When I got older and moved to a spinning reel same deal crank on the right. Now that I am thirty three I don't think I am going to switch hands now.. I understand that the power hand makes the cast and then you just start reeling with your left. But I have always switched hands mid cast and started to reel with the right.. Not sure if this old dog is going to learn new tricks..
Are you fishing with the reel and the guides facing up ?? Are you using an OPEN Face spinning reel ??

I can't picture in my mind how you would have the reel and guides facing up, cast with your right hand, swithch the rod to your left hand and begin reeling with your right and find it easier than learning to reel with your left hand. But I guess that's why there's chocolate and vanilla. :wink:

A guide I've fished with posted this as a response on another site I frequent. Makes since to me...

The reason why is because spinning reels are just susposed to be used to take up line after you use the rod to do the pulling of the fish, bait, etc. The handle on the left enables right handed people to use their stronger hand and arm on the rod for more power. A baitcaster is more of a winch and the reel is used often to move the fish, bait, etc. instead of the rod. The handle being on the right lets right handed people to use their stronger hand to crank on the reel. Personally I use all my handles on the right but I have stripped a lot of gears on my spinning reels using them as a winch.

I'm right handed, left hand retreive on spinning gear, right hand retreive on baitcasting gear. My next baitcasting reel will be a left hand retreive model. I just can't seem to get the action I want out of the rod when holding the rod with my left hand. That's why for now I use my baitcaster for spinnerbaits and live bait fishing for catfish.

I am right handed, I use right handed spinning and baitcasting reels. So with spinning reels I work the rod with my right hand and reel with my left; with baitcasters I work the rod with my laft hand and reel with my right. I have been using spinning reels my whole life, and baitcaster since I was 11 or 12, and that is just what I got used to. I have tried left handed baitcasters, and it just doesn't feel right to me :|

I am a righty, and grew up on spinning reels. If you look at older spinning reels, the handle is always on the left. Just the way it is supposed to be (unless you are a lefty, but y'all are used to all things with the exception of tape measures being backwards :lol: ).

Because I started with spinning gear at such a young age, I got accustomed to working the bait with my dominant hand. Thus, when I started buying baitcasters, I bought lefty models, for two reasons. First of all, the idea of switching hands after a cast doesn't make sense. Secondly, I cannot effectively work a bait with my left hand. I have much better feel and dexterity with my right, so my left is just used for cranking.

Adding more to the topic: I cast with both hands on the rod, right hand is forward near the reel, and the left hand is on the handle behind the reel; once the casting is completed, the right hand automatically moves fwd and flips the bail closed in one smooth motion, then moves to the handle knob ready to retrieve. Piece of cake!
crazy_face.gif
:lol

I am left handed and cast with my left hand.
I hold the rod with the spinning reel and guides on the bottom of the rod.
I crank with my right hand.

If I use a closed faced reel, like the Zebco Rhino 33 I hold the reel and guides above the rod so I can crank with my right hand.

I ,like bassboy1,am RIGHT handed.I cast and work the rod with my right hand,reel with my left.
Using spinning reels is no problem,since most are reversible.I only buy LEFT handed baitcasters,which limits my options.Most models don't come Left handed.My first baitcaster was a righty,I missed a lot of bites while I was changing hands.So left handed reels ever since.
That's my story.

I AM RIGHT HANDED, HOLD THE ROD AND CAST RIGHT HANDED AND CRANK WITH THE LEFT. IF I PICK UP A RT. CRANK REEL I FEEL LIKE A CLUTZ. LOL

Had a professional fishermen comment once before a tournament...

"How would you like to give me 50-60 casts into my favorite fishing holes before you even get a chance to fish it once? That's what you're doing in tournament if you cast, switch, and reel."

Of course I already was casting right and reeling left. My great grandma gave me my first spinning reel, and to use it, I had to reel lefty. Never looked back.

Will

I switch hands while the bait is still in the air with a baitcaster. I can cast with my left hand also, just not too well. I do, however, pitch with my left hand.

Latest posts