Rod Holders

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LDUBS

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
This comes under the "small project" heading.

The old Moeller rod holders that came with my boat were falling apart (just like my Moeller gaso tank, but that is another story). Replacement inserts were incredibly expensive, so it was time to replace them. I decided to cobble something up based on some designs I saw on the internet.

I picked up a cheap 1/2" cutting board. Then I saw the 3/8" cutting board in the kitchen and decided I liked that thickness better. So, Mrs Ldubs gets a brand new half inch thick cutting board. I get the old well used 3/8" cutting board.

I've cut and milled King Starboard before. This cutting board, which I assume is HDPE, seemed much more difficult. I don't know why but it seemed much more prone to melting. Setting the router at the lowest speed helped but I was still scraping melted plastic off the "finished" surface. Speaking of finished, I sanded the flat parts with 150 grit just to get rid of some knife marks. Kind of gave it a mottled look. I am going to claim that was what I intended all along.

Anyway, here are some pics of the new rod holders. If you have the Moeller ones and need replacement parts, see the "members karma" forum.

Hold2.jpg

Hold3.jpg

Mounting rod holders has been a decision I’ve struggled with.
Seems like the store bought ones are purposely made cheap. At least the more affordable choices.
That said I like the custom ones you made. No crappy inserts to wear out and replace. Good job. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts