Rod Socks

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LDUBS

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
Those rod socks/sleeves -- what do they do for me? Good for transporting two piece rods?

I"m thinking of getting some for the two piece surf rods I toss in the truck bed, but don't want them if they are going to be more hassle than they are worth.

They were really designed to make it easier to slide you rods in and out of rod lockers with ease. This way the guides and the line would not get caught or hung up on anything else. Other than that, they do nothing in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

not good for anything else? NAW !!!

They are one more new, unnecessary, appendage to the fisherman's baggage, right up there with the nekkid mermaid treble hook lure.

Everyone on e should get them .

(Chicks dig them--honest) :---) :---)

Kismet said:
not good for anything else? NAW !!!

They are one more new, unnecessary, appendage to the fisherman's baggage, right up there with the nekkid mermaid treble hook lure.

Everyone on e should get them .

(Chicks dig them--honest) :---) :---)

I'm sold!!

They protect the blank from scratches sliding rods in and out of tubes. I find they help keep rods from tangling when you carry a bunch in a small space. I'll have 6 +/- rods rigged and on the deck of my little 16' and the socks keep everything from tangling up. But I have tip tubes in the bow of my boat too, so I really need them.

Also...I make them from 100' roles of PET cable sheathing.

Casting Rods:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NCN21WU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Spinning Rods:
Need 2" PET, harder to find and more expensive.

I agree that the socks serve a function for many.

However, who has ever caught a fish on one of these?

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=nekkid+mermaid+fishing+lures

It will be Spring soon; we have the season of mud to go through first.

Be well.

I use rod socks every time I fish. Trying to carry 6-8 rods bunched together and not getting guides stuck on each other or on door frames…worth the cost. I even use them on my kids rods, lol. Bass Pro has a six pack for $20, so they can be had for cheap. But I’m with OTW, I made a bunch myself for my casting rods. I love micro guides so my custom socks are a lot thinner than the regular casting socks, they match the rods (lol) and they were very inexpensive to make.

I thought rod sleeves were highly unnecessary and a snake oil product until I spent 30 minutes untangling four lines that craftily intertwined themselves in the back of my truck last fall. I quickly re-evaluated my opinion of them. Told my wife it would make a great stocking stuffer, then I forgot about them. Bless her amazing memory because a 12-pack showed up in my stocking last year. Haven't really put them to full use, but I can see how they will come in handy for running multiple rods that are transported together and also kept together on a small boat. I'm a fan if it saves me the headache of line and lure tangles.

I can sure see how the rod socks would keep multiple rods from getting tangled on the boat. In my original post I was thinking more in terms of protecting the surf rods when I toss them in the back of the truck.

I have a 9.5' microlight float & fly rod that I use when we go camping and I can't take the boat. I use it to toss small lures from the bank for trout. I had the same concern with the fragile rod getting banged up or broken when tossed in with the other gear. So, I made my own rod case. Not the most beautiful thing but it gets the job done. Might have to do something similar for the surf rod.

RH.jpg

Latest posts