Running and anchor light

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wvmedic

Reaction score
I'm ordering a new Alumacraft V16 Monday. I need to wire for running and anchor lights as well as sonar. I want a clean look, any suggestions on running the wiring and securing it so it is neat and doesn't get torn up?

Attachments

• 20180823_115035.jpg
    20180823_115035.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 1,789
  • 20180823_114244.jpg
    20180823_114244.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 1,789
If your gunnels on the side are hollow and have nothing going through them, then you can run your wires for your lights through those and will only need a small hole on each end for the wires to exit. I’ve done that on boats I have owned and it keeps everything clean and protected. It’s just a pain fishing the wires and you don’t know if it will work until after you drilled holes and try it.

The other thing I have done is run wires in the best looking spot along the inside sides of the boat and then wrap it in a special conduit to make it look nice and clean. It’s sold at almost any hardware store and looks like that black corrugated pipe they use for drainage but instead of being 4” and made for water it’s only like 1/2” diameter and made for electrical. It’s usualy found in the electrical aisles. Sorry the description sucks. The only down side to that is you’ll have to find the best way to fasten in which will most likely result in using a clamp or bracket made for wire or pipe and fastened to the side of the boat.

Unless you have access under the floor somehow.....

Hope that helps somewhat

Thank you Superbass160,
I'm not sure that the gunnels are hollow, I will have to check the floor when I get the boat. I'm probably going to have to run the wiring as you suggested and your description was fine. My only concern is how to secure the wire loom. Might secure it to the floor. That was my original thought, just looking for any better suggestions.

Thank you again.

richg99 said:
Won't hurt to ask the dealer what it would cost to run some wires under the deck during manufacturing.

...Or at the least.... a pull through wire ("fish tape"). My Lowe 1648 had a pull through wire left for the front light.

Several manufacturers offer a channel in the gunwale that you can run wires through. Worth looking into. Dunno if Alumacraft offers it or not.

Some may not agree with me but for abrasion resistance and chew protection from vermin I think it's beneficial to use some nylon spiral wire wrap (or any kind of wire protection) around the wiring when pulling it.

Here's what it looks like on my Lowe. If you were close by I'd give you enough to do three boats :)

wire_wrapping2.jpg

gnappi, it doesn't appear that Alumacraft has that channel. It isn't finished being built yet. I'm hoping within the next two weeks it will be done. It takes 8 to 12 weeks to build.

Thank you

The problem with that is, the only way I've found to communicate with Alumacraft is building email. The dealer I'm going through to get it doesn't even get a notification when they start the build. He said they just let him know when it's done and ready to ship.

I should have already had it, but the first dealer I went to kept jerking me around and didn't order it when he said he was going to. So, I went to this dealer and ordered the first of this month. That is the one thing that I do not like about Alumacraft, is trying to contact them.

I've put lights in many a tin skiff through the hollow rails at the gunwhales, putting a rubber grommet as shown at both ends. Otherwise that spiral wrap gnappi shows works great too and it unbelievably resistant to UV exposure, which surprises me for it being black in color. I use that stuff for the rigging of my hoses & cables at the transom up to the OB motor.

Attachments

• Grommet.JPG
    Grommet.JPG
    22.7 KB · Views: 1,472

Latest posts