rust converter thoughts

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firstresponder01

Reaction score
Was looking at doing rust converter for my boat trailer. I'm going to wire it down but also wanted to try rust converter. Has anyone ever used this? How was it?

Attachments

• IMG_20141221_120855806.jpg
    IMG_20141221_120855806.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 1,090
  • IMG_20141221_120844574.jpg
    IMG_20141221_120844574.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 1,090
  • IMG_20141221_120850801.jpg
    IMG_20141221_120850801.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 1,090
I have used it on some equipment at work. All you do is clean off the loose stuff and apply. Seems to work good the paint is still on the equipment and that's been a few years ago.

What brands do y'all use? I like the idea a lot more then spending 3 days wire wheeling or $300 to have it sand blasted. I've seen stuff like rust doctor and POR but they are around $150. I found some stuff at home depot called corroseal and its a water based going for $55

I use Rustoleum brand Rust reformer. It's a little more than $6.00 for a 8oz bottle.
I put on 2 coats after spending 3 days wire wheeling off the rust. With paint it's all about the prep.

Yeah I plan to still wire wheel it but not to bare metal like I was going to. Knock off the big stuff then do two coats like you mentioned. Then paint it with a good thick rust preventative paint. What paint did you use? I was thinking POR15 just because its so thick and great against salt water.

Por15 is a great product, but know that you have to put a paint over it. It does not handle UV rays.

I do Rust Reformer, Rustoleum primer and Rustoleum professional paint.

I used OSPHO on my trailer. Worked good. Ordered through Amazon because I couldn't find it locally.

Ospho is excellent rust converter, however, it's expensive. You can buy an equally effective product for half the price at Home Depot or Lowe's. It's called "Phosphoric Etch and Prep" It's sold under the "Klean-Strip" label, in the paint department.

Apply it and wait for the rust to start turning black, then rinse off as much of the residue as you can, while it's still wet. If you wait for it to dry, you'll have to wire brush all the white powder off everything, and if any gets left on there, it interferes with the paint adhesion. Once it's rinsed off, let it dry thoroughly, and paint with a good oil-based primer, followed up by an oil based paint.

Well after a hard mental debate with myself I went with the stuff from homedepot called corroseal. It says to arrive Friday next week. I will start prepping it this week, wire wheeling the heavy areas. I will post pictures when finished. Thanks abunch guys

firstresponder01 said:
Well after a hard mental debate with myself I went with the stuff from homedepot called corroseal. It says to arrive Friday next week. I will start prepping it this week, wire wheeling the heavy areas. I will post pictures when finished. Thanks abunch guys
What primer and paint are you going to use?

The por15 can be expensive, when you add in their chassis coat cover paint. But, if you do it right, that trailer will last your life time. Por15 completely seals and becomes a rock hard coating. You can beat with a hammer and not chip it. So it costs more to do, but you never have to do it again. Normal rust converter,primer and paint will last a few years, then be rusting again.

The big turn off about a full POR15 job is the amount of work haha. With a 16month old baby at home and a full time job. Its hard to find time to spend three days wire wheeling to 100% bare metal or spending over $300 to have it sand blasted. The rust converter seems the way to go for on a budget and limited time.

Hello First Responder,

Personally, I have rarely used these products and, after comparison with wire brushes, I will not use them again. My experience with these products convinced me not to prefer them.
here is the link if anyone ever needs it: Rust Converter
Cordially,
Tina

When I found rust and blisters on my SxS bed, I wire brushed all the rust and loose stuff, treated with rustoleum rust stop, the sprayed bed liner over that. Been three years with no additional signs of rust..

Latest posts