Saltwater boat in Florida

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnsboat

Reaction score
New to posting, have read through many threads, especially the projects. I am currently boatless. No hurry, we are just starting to build a house so I have to wait until that's done. I'm looking at every brand of welded aluminum boat I can find, but also considering a project.

I have had freshwater aluminum but never saltwater. Any thoughts on brands? new or old to look for? Things to avoid?

Thanks!

My first question would be are you going to trailer it or leave it in the water at a dock, slip, or mooring?

If the former ... I'd say any brand of tin boat should work for you.

Johnsboat said:
Trailer. We have boat/trailer parking and a boat ramp where we are building.
Cool! Then frankly I don't see any issue. I don't pay attention to welded boats, so I can't advise.

Now I run riveted boats, and due to all those rivets, I'd still bottom paint one with the special AF stuff for tin boats ... but that's me. I'd say a welded boat avoids all that process.

I moved from SW New Mexico to the Nature Coast of Florida (Inverness area) 18 months ago and it hasn't been as expected at all. I'm homesick for the high desert, the deep blue sky, the mountains and canyons and miles of open vistas where I rarely see anyone....and the moderate climate.

My area of NM is at 6,000 ft elevation, which makes for mild, beautiful summers and not-so-bad winters. Rarely much below freezing and rarely a 1" - 2" snowfall which is usually gone the same day.

The tremendous heat & humidity here are suffocating and the bugs....migawd. Mosquitoes in clouds, but the bad ones are the hordes of Ticks that get all over me when I hike in the brush. I hate the damned things. Chiggers are the most gawd-awful monsters I've ever encountered. If you haven't been bit by one, you don't know what itching really is. I haven't been happy since I got here......

.....so I'm going home. I have some medical stuff to finish up here and will be leaving Flarda in 2 - 3 weeks.

Latest posts