Saw something amazing this morning.....

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fish Chris

Reaction score
I had a small tin boat go by me in mine, about 50 feet away. Okay, it was maybe only a 12 or 13ft'er, and there was only one guy in it. On top of that, it wasn't going too awefully fast.... maybe only 18 or 20 mph, but was on a nice level plane.

But here's the amazing thing, this darn thing made the smallest, almost undetectable wake of ANY boat, of any size, I have ever seen ! I mean, there was a very small chop on the water anyway, and you had to look closely to see which waves came from the boat !

With so little wake being produced, doesn't this also mean the boat is experiencing very little drag ??? I wonder what kind of mileage that boat gets ? I think he had a 9.9hp 4 stroker on it.

I thought my boat did pretty well on fuel, even though it has a 25hp, and throws a "normal" sized wake.... which would be about 10 X's the water that this boat was moving !

Can anybody shed some light on this ?

Curious,
Fish

PS, My old 12ft'er was like a darn barge ! It tried to push half the lake along with it..... but maybe the trade off was that it was very stable for a little 12 ft v-hull....

His boat was probably trimmed and balanced really well. When I have my big boat up on plane and it is balanced it throws almost no wake as well.

He was also most likely running on his "whale tail" so the boat was displacing very little water!

I wish I could trim and balance mine that well.... Although like I had said, my new, bigger, heavier 14 ft'er certainly does throw less wake than my old 12 ft'er :)

BTW, isn't it funny when you see those "SLOW ! NO WAKE" signs ? I'm always thinking to myself..... Okay which is going to be, "Slow ? .... ...or "No Wake" ? It's one or the other.... Physics just won't allow both. I guess you could kill your motor altogether, and just paddle by :)

Or how about when big giant boat owners slow way down to be considerate of us in our little tin boats, and in doing so, pick up and push about half of the waterway into us ! Oh well. I guess its the thought that counts, huh ? :)

Peace,
Fish

Originally, the "no wake" was "no wash," but it was assumed that many folks wouldn't understand that, so it was made "no wake." That is stupid, as it is physically impossible to move any object through a body of water without making a wake. Ideally, it would go back to "no wash," in which the definition is no white water, bow or stern.
But, these days, it is more commonly interpreted as idle speed, which is the slowest possible speed to maintain headway.

Interesting. Thank you.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
When I saw the sign that said "No Wake" I thought it meant somebody was sleeping ;-) LOL

Fish

Slow - No Wake is defined as: The slowest speed at which it is still possible to maintain steering and which does not create a wake.

esquired said:
Slow - No Wake is defined as: The slowest speed at which it is still possible to maintain steering and which does not create a wake.

It would be cool if some people half attempted to do this. However you always have one or two bozos who have no clue.

So true - that is why we have a radio on the boat, I have never called anyone in, but have seen / heard it done. Big wake in a no wake zone is very dangerous.

From a local newspaper last month:

Posted Monday, September 24, 2007

NEW CASTLE COUNTY

BOAT CRASHES INTO POLE: Two men were rescued in the Chesapeake & Delaware Canal on Sunday afternoon after they were thrown from their boat, which ended up on land, crashing into a telephone pole. The boaters sustained minor injuries and declined medical treatment, said Frank Bailey, chief of the Volunteer Hose Company of Middletown,. The operator, Robert Winzinger, 35, of Hainesport, N.J., was charged with boating under the influence of alcohol and reckless operation of a vessel by the Delaware Division of Fish and Wildlife, said Cpl. John McDerby, the investigating officer. Winzinger's blood alcohol content was 0.153, McDerby said. The boaters were traveling east, just west of the Summit Bridge, around 3:20 p.m. when they encountered a wake and lost control of the 35-foot Fountain sport boat. The pair were thrown into the water, and were picked up by other boaters. After hitting the wake, the boat turned north, ran up a bank and came to rest on a hill after crashing into a telephone pole.

Latest posts