Seal leaks around rivets.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopper33

Reaction score
I am getting ready to mod a jon boat into a duck hunting boat. I am about to start on a subfloor, and have a few very small leaks around rivets. The rivets themselves do not look cracked. Nothing that leaks much, or fast in the slightest. Certainly will not take on fast enough to sink, but either way I want to seal them.

They are small enough I am afraid to try and replace each applicable rivet, in fear I would possible make it worse. Should I seal with an aluminum brazing rod? Just some marine Flex Seal spray? JB Weld? Or, is replacing the rivets easy enough and the best bet? Something else?

Any insight or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

This is what I used to seal holes from where I'd drilled out rivets for the F-9 rebuild.

Should seal those leaky rivets right up.

jbweldcom_654947038.jpg

From what I've read about others doing, I'd try tightening the existing rivets 1st, with a driver and bucking bar.

For myself, I had a huge number of bad, corroded ones - 170 - 5/32" rivets. I drilled them out to 3/16"- much faster and easier - and used sealed end aluminum pop rivets with steel shanks. They pull down extremely tight, but you'll need a heavy duty puller for them; you won't do it with the little ones that come in the 1/8" kits. HF makes a dandy, heavy duty, 2 handed popper for $20 that works beautifully.

ATTACH]

I dipped each rivet in 5200 generously before inserting, then smeared the outside when popped.

0N0005[1].JPG

I used aircraft clecos to hold things in alignment while working on them.

Out of 170 rivets, I had 5 that leaked when done. Not sure....maybe didn't get sufficient 5200 on them ?? Maybe didn't seat them squarely ?? Dunno, but went around underneath and smeared a bit more 5200 over the leakers and that ended that.

Hi,
Re-buck 'em! Get a friend to hold a small sledge face against the inboard end, and give the outboard end a few hits. If you only have a few to do, you can make a tool by drilling the appropriately shaped dent (to match the rivet head) in the end of a 6" piece of steel rod.
This is really the best method for any rivets accessible for the treatment.
Good luck
Ron

Re-buck 'em or West Systems G-Flex 650 (just paint later or cover, as UV kills epoxies ... ). Extensive info has been added on here on 'how to' use it.

A few years back my 12' jon boat was leaking pretty bad, thevribs on the bottom were actually worn thru in some places from dragging it over rocks and gravel. Found a clear paint on sealer used for roofing shingles and exterior metal. Sold at Home Depot and Tractor Supply, comes in a blue can about a quart in size. Painted the insude bottom and the outside bottom with this clear seal. After letting it dry for a full week, I repainted the jon boat with rustoleum paint in hunter green. That was almost 5 years back...boat does not leak still....still dragged over gravel and sand to this day. green oaint has worn on ribs but the clear seal has not rubbed away !!! Thisvis great stuff to seal any leaks you have and surprised at how tough this stuff is !!!

Latest posts