Seal skin boat covers

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Douglasdzaster

Reaction score
My cheap 300 denier cover finally gave it up. I went to put it back on today after doing some work to the boat and it ripped big time when I pulled it from the back to get the pockets out. I wasn’t pulling hard either. I have a pvc pipe frame that runs the length of the boat instead of poles. I reached up and pushed it with my finger and it tore again. Like it’s dry rotted or something. I think it was the waterproof spray I used 2 weeks ago.
All that said I want a good cover this time because I’m rebuilding the boat. I found a Shark skin that’s reasonable and it has a 10 year warranty that’s not prorated and is covered for leaking,any rips even the breath ability to not have any mold smell etc.
Does any one have any experience with a Shark skin cover? My boat doesn’t have a console so fitment is simple.
I appreciate any knowledge shared before I pull the trigger and buy it. Mean time my cover has two bright red duct tape patches. Lol I taped the inside and outside.

Go to the BBB.com website. FIRST !!!!!!!! Horrible company to deal with. You will not order from them.

Use the WEB to check out companies.

I use a Carver "flex fit" cover. Five years old and other than being dirty it is holding up well. I had the same brand on my previous boat. Fits pretty loose and even covers the outboard. I would say the material is water resistant. If allowed to puddle, water will eventually seep thru. I keep it tented and synched down pretty tight during the rainy season. Water sheds off no problem. We don't get snow, ice, or freezing temps. I paid in the neighborhood of $140. No idea what they cost now.

I have no experience of seal skin covers so can't make a comparison.

I just received the Carver Sundura cover for the bay boat. One step down in price from Sunbrella. I can't speak for longevity but it seems to be a well made cover and completely waterproof. Ot has plent of tie-down loops. I finally got tired of the Walmart/Academy covers and the silver tarps.

Some years back I had a " Shark Skin" bimini top from Cabelas. Necer heard of the brand but bought it with my Cabela Bucks from my credit card. Had it for 6 years then sold the boat, never had an issue with it, still looked like new when I sold the boat. Seal skin...never heard of it either. All my boat covers have been custom made by guys that do that type if work as a hobby for extra money.
Many are car guys that make auto interiors for car buffs. All my covers have been great and lasted a longbtime as I took care of them !! Much better prices than a professional boat cover guy with a store front....

I use a Carver "flex fit" cover. Five years old and other than being dirty it is holding up well. I had the same brand on my previous boat. Fits pretty loose and even covers the outboard. I would say the material is water resistant. If allowed to puddle, water will eventually seep thru. I keep it tented and synched down pretty tight during the rainy season. Water sheds off no problem. We don't get snow, ice, or freezing temps. I paid in the neighborhood of $140. No idea what they cost now.

I have no experience of seal skin covers so can't make a comparison.
I’m about to order a Carver. Thanks for the information.

I just received the Carver Sundura cover for the bay boat. One step down in price from Sunbrella. I can't speak for longevity but it seems to be a well made cover and completely waterproof. Ot has plent of tie-down loops. I finally got tired of the Walmart/Academy covers and the silver tarps.
I’m about to order a Carver Sundura. It’s sitting in the cart now. Do you mind me asking who you ordered yours from and does it fit correctly? The company I’m getting ready to order from is Covercraft which I saw a lot of great reviews on their site but saw complaints on the bbb.

I ordered from Covercraft. They gave an estimated ship date. It was a week after the ship date and i hadn't heard from them. I was going to call to check the status and I got the notice that it was out for delivery. I'm satisfied. Seems to happen a lot lately where I get tracking info right before delivery. May not be their fault.

I ordered from Covercraft. They gave an estimated ship date. It was a week after the ship date and i hadn't heard from them. I was going to call to check the status and I got the notice that it was out for delivery. I'm satisfied. Seems to happen a lot lately where I get tracking info right before delivery. May not be their fault.
Yes it did fit correctly. I removed the center console and had a walk through windshield made for it so I couldn't order for my specific boat. I ordered the aluminum boat wide cover 1ft longer just in case because the windshield is high. Turns out I didn't have to. I just pulled the front over the winch post to take up the extra. I ordered the vent for it also.

Yes it did fit correctly. I removed the center console and had a walk through windshield made for it so I couldn't order for my specific boat. I ordered the aluminum boat wide cover 1ft longer just in case because the windshield is high. Turns out I didn't have to. I just pulled the front over the winch post to take up the extra. I ordered the vent for it also.
Thank you for sharing your experience. Mine is also coming from Covercraft. I went to work today making my home made trolling motor mount detachable. They where clear that it was for boats without a trolling motor and the mount sticks up a little. No big deal I’m using rivnuts and Star knobs. It’ll come off in about a minute.

Latest posts