Sealants

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hankthecrank

Reaction score
Working on a 3 hp evinrude and freshening up the gaskets. I know most did not have any sealant on them originally , and I won’t use it on most of them going back , but , the exh cover is a little rough from corrosion and I think the cover itself could use a little sealant. I’m thinking from a gasket,part b. Any advice? Thanks, Hank

I've used OMC/Bombardier Gasket Sealing Compound on every sealing surface on literally 100s and 100s of OBs through 40+ years (unless another 'special' sealing compound like the 'gel seal' for use on crankcase half seals, was expressly called for - per the OEM factory serice manual).

Zero issues. I also use a razor blade and naptha (lighter fluid) to clean off any mating surfaces.

It is also FANTASTIC for coating the threads on any stainless steel (SS) bolt used on an OB prior to intallation, like waterpump or lower unit bolts. Never ever had one that couldn't be removed, for 95% used in saltwater too ... at least once I had applied it, LOL!

Gasket.jpg

For an alternative, Permatex Motoseal is designed for sealing aluminum casings on two and four stroke engines. It's fuel and oil resistant, any parts store will have it.

Latest posts