Seats and floor covering???

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BAY BEAGLE

Reaction score
I'm at a point where I need to decide what seat and mount, to install. Boat has a 50 inch wide bottom, ribs spaced at 8 inches on center, 70" across the top, 16 ft long.
I would like to mount pedestal style mount. Looking at the 3" tube Mounts.That will slide into the mount. I'll have the original factory bench seat, that is reinforced from the inside, to install the mount.

DALEH gave me a suggestion ..... and I am looking for others. Especially height. My bench seats have been removed, so I do not have "real time" way to determine a height.

Question .... what would be the appropriate height. I am thinking 6" or 7" pedestal + seat. Or should I mount directly to bench, and keep it low - for better stability. If I went with a taller pedestal, could I cut the tubing, to get a height that Would feel comfortable (stability wise)

2nd Question ...... putting down 48" W x 120" L - .190 aliumium plate for my base floor. - from your experience, what floor covering made You happy. Looks like many are 47 inches wide x 96 inches material.
48" x 120" is my desired covering, without any breaks or seams.

Looking forward to some insight.

For 2nd question: I like the vinyl floor covers a lot. Some texture for non-slip, easy to keep clean, lasts, and IMO looks good. Mine have been installed over plywood, but I don't know why it could not be installed over Alum sheet.

My experience - with carpet - has been to avoid the Henry's carpet adhesive that you trowel on. It works wonderfully well and does a great job, as it's designed to do....until you have to pull it up. Then you'll be tempted to burn the whole mess. That Henry's is like steel plate or maybe 5200 and is nearly impossible to remove. If you want Permanent, you've got it in that stuff. Ask me how I know. 😎😒

When I put the indoor/outdoor carpet in my tin skiff, I used spray adhesive. It's quite a bit (much) more expensive but you're not doing "that" huge an area (I used 3 cans in my 16 ft) and it holds well; but you can pull it up and clean it up easily when necessary. Simple ol' paint thinner melts it instantly.

LDUBS:

What type or company did You use for Your vinyl application?

And if You were to do it again, would You still use plywood as Your base?

I'm finding my 48" x 120" x .190 aliumium sheet is listed at $490. Tough to swallow. My goal is to do it right the first time ..... pay now, than to regret later.

Good questions. In my case the vinyl floor came already installed in both of my last two boats. It is over 1/2" plywood. I'm pretty sure both were the Nautolex brand (both were the same light gray color). Other boats I've owned have all been carpet over plywood.

I like plywood because it is relatively inexpensive (for ext grade), and will last a long time. It is easy to work and easy to replace when needed without breaking the bank. Vinyl flooring wrapped over the edges will provide quite a bit of extra protection to the plywood.

I think there is a natural tendency to try and use one sheet of whatever for an entire floor section. Everyone wants a seamless floor, right? My current boat has a couple of seams running across the floor (athwart, as it were). I like that because instead of having to pull the whole floor, I can just pull up one section as needed to access below the floor.

I'm only speaking from my experience which, while spanning many years, is limited to plywood floors. I cannot really make a comparison to an aluminum sheet floor.

Latest posts