Second hip replacement

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonny1

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
Preop went very well. Got the green light for surgery on the 4/11/23. Very excited about getting it done. Tired of the pain and not really able to do much. Right hip was replaced in Nov and it feels 100% better. Still hurts at times but nothing like before. The thought of being able to walk without a walking is music to the ears. Work on the boat should go a lot quicker after recovery. Have a stationary bike at the house and talked to the surgeon yesterday about riding it . He said as long as I do not pass the 90 degree bend in hip go for it. Bike's one of those where you ride it stretched out so I can start riding at day one after surgery. Been on restricted activity for over three months. Between the bike and physical therapy should heal up solid and fast. Hoping to get back on the motorcycle again. Rebuilt a 2015 Triumph Rocket X (no 74) about two years ago and have only rode maybe 100 miles since then. I use to ride about 30,000 miles a year on a bike but due to hips the pain got to be to much. Really looking forward to getting my life back.

I've not had one done but everyone I talk to says the hip & knee replacements were well worth it.

I wish you a speedy recover from the upcoming surgery. Sounds like you are ready to hit the road running -- well peddling that is.

Wife has had both hips replaced, long recovery but much better off now!! Unfortunately, now she is having back surgery, can't win!! Good luck to you, hope you have a speedy recovery !!

Wife has had both hips replaced, long recovery but much better off now!! Unfortunately, now she is having back surgery, can't win!! Good luck to you, hope you have a speedy recovery !!
Can relate to that. I have issues with my tail bone area. That injury was what leaded to the hips. For over three years I have received shots in my back every three months. Even had over 6 months of physical therapy. None of the treatments really helped much and over time the pain got worse. So I decided to go with the knee surgery in order to get my back surgery done. Got x-rays done and the surgeon was not concern with the knee but did say my hips were shot. For over three years I received treatment for back and knee while my hips never came into the picture. The pain that shoots down my legs is caused from my hips being ate up with arthritis. During the recent preop discussed the possibility of getting my knee fixed next and the surgeon seems to think that after the the surgery I may not need it. That is why i'm going to give 100% with the physical therapy and begin a strong exercise program. Just about every motorcycle injury I had is now acting up with arthritis. It took 65 years but now paying for it.

Last edited:
Can relate to that. I have issues with my tail bone area. That injury was what leaded to the hips. For over three years I have received shots in my back every three months. Even had over 6 months of physical therapy. None of the treatments really helped much and over time the pain got worse. So I decided to go with the knee surgery in order to get my back surgery done. Got x-rays done and the surgeon was not concern with the knee but did say my hips were shot. For over three years I received treatment for back and knee while my hips never came into the picture. The pain that shoots down my legs is caused from my hips being ate up with arthritis. During the recent preop discussed the possibility of getting my knee fixed next and the surgeon seems to think that after the the surgery I may not need it. That is why i'm going to give 100% with the physical therapy and begin a strong exercise program. Just about every motorcycle injury I had is now acting up with arthritis. It took 65 years but now paying for it.
I hear ya...we all thought we were invincible in our younger days!! How wrong we were!! My son often said how stupid and out of date my thoughts were, now that he Is mid 40's, he says I look smarter everyday!!

Preop went very well. Got the green light for surgery on the 4/11/23. Very excited about getting it done. Tired of the pain and not really able to do much. Right hip was replaced in Nov and it feels 100% better. Still hurts at times but nothing like before. The thought of being able to walk without a walking is music to the ears. Work on the boat should go a lot quicker after recovery. Have a stationary bike at the house and talked to the surgeon yesterday about riding it . He said as long as I do not pass the 90 degree bend in hip go for it. Bike's one of those where you ride it stretched out so I can start riding at day one after surgery. Been on restricted activity for over three months. Between the bike and physical therapy should heal up solid and fast. Hoping to get back on the motorcycle again. Rebuilt a 2015 Triumph Rocket X (no 74) about two years ago and have only rode maybe 100 miles since then. I use to ride about 30,000 miles a year on a bike but due to hips the pain got to be to much. Really looking forward to getting my life back.
You had anterior or posterior operation?

The scare on my right runs along the outside of my leg. Horizontal to vertical. Basically cut you open and peel everything out of the way. Seen a xray of it and it looks weird compared to a real hip.

Last edited:
The scare on my right runs along the side of my leg. Horizontal to vertical. Basically cut you open and peel everything out of the way. Seen a xray of it and it looks weird compared to a real hip.
I was back full time no restrictions 7 weeks after surgery. Any angle..
Dr. Said I had to wait till 7 weeks to ride the Harley in case I stuffed my leg in a crack or hole.
I said ok but I could have ridden in 4…

Well that is nice. Some folks have even said they walked out on their own the day after surgery. I have limit of 50% percent weight for 8 weeks. Along with that I am told no 90 degree bend for 8 weeks. No right to left movement is recommended. Basically my right hip is nothing more than a stainless steel rod with a ball attached that goes into my hip socket. The lower part screws into a section of bone which is glued somehow into my leg bone. Looks very odd on a xray. Three months later my muscle in the leg is still sore at times. Scare is about 8 inches across the leg which goes down my leg about 12 inches. I guess if I had a small bike I could ride if I had to but would not. The Triumph Rocket X is a bit on the large size. At four weeks I will still be using a cane to get around and just be going from in house therapy to outpatient therapy for another 6 weeks I have been on restricted activity since Oct. The day the damaged was discovered.

Last edited:
Well that is nice. Some folks have even said they walked out on their own the day after surgery. I have limit of 50% percent weight for 8 weeks. Along with that I am told no 90 degree bend for 8 weeks. No right to left movement is recommended. Basically my right hip is nothing more than a stainless steel rod with a ball attached that goes into my hip socket. The lower part screws into a section of bone which is glued somehow into my leg bone. Looks very odd on a xray. Three months later my muscle in the leg is still sore at times. Scare is about 8 inches across the leg which goes down my leg about 12 inches. I guess if I had a small bike I could ride if I had to but would not. The Triumph Rocket X is a bit on the large size. At four weeks I will still be using a cane to get around and just be going from in house therapy to outpatient therapy for another 6 weeks I have been on restricted activity since Oct. The day the damaged was discovered.
I hope you get 100% sir. No one should be in pain.

Am back. First day where I can sit in the chair in front of the computer in comfort. This time was not as smooth as the first hip. Required a bone graft because socket area was eaten up pretty bad. Spent two days in ICU due to heart and lung problems during surgery. Today planning on my first real shower in two weeks. Hip hurts but pain is a lot less than before surgery. First time in about three years pain level is about a four. Well worth the hassle

Am back. First day where I can sit in the chair in front of the computer in comfort. This time was not as smooth as the first hip. Required a bone graft because socket area was eaten up pretty bad. Spent two days in ICU due to heart and lung problems during surgery. Today planning on my first real shower in two weeks. Hip hurts but pain is a lot less than before surgery. First time in about three years pain level is about a four. Well worth the hassle
When your pain is so bad you want the shop guys just to hold you down and use a saws all on you, post surgery is a piece of cake. Sorry for your complications. Get well soon…

Last edited:
Basstrackertx17 both hip replacements were posterior type. Start outpatient therapy next week. Still have a hard time walking mainly from not being able to walk normal for over two years. Get along pretty good with the walker but going solo is difficult. Riding the stationary bike everyday and it seems to help a lot. Practice walking everyday just not very smooth at it just yet.

After viewing all the videos on the internet of the fantastic recovers where people are walking a few days after surgery decided it was time for a update. Surgery was done on 4/11/23 and have progressed fairly well. Ride the stationary bike three times a day for 15 minutes each session. Hips do not exceed the 90 degree angle while riding which is very important. Physical Therapy is going strong three times a day. I go to the out clinic three times a week which is going well. I still have pain but no were near what it was prior to the last operation. Can walk a little on my own now but not very far. There are times when it feels like I have a rubber band tightening up around my hips. That is when I do a few exercises that I have learned to relieve the tight feeling. Believe what you will but after two hip replacements since 11/29/23 both posterior types you are not going to run a 5k any time soon. A honest and truthful update. Going to take it easy but plan on doing some wire brushing on the boat today.

Latest posts