Shift Rod O-Ring - Part of Water Pump Service?- 2017 Yamaha F25LWTC

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tin Man

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
Completed a new water pump service today. All went well, I think?

I just read a thread today about a member and his new to him boat. There was a post/reply about not forgetting to replace the shift rod o ring on a water pump job.

As I was preparing to order parts for my next service from SIM Yamaha parts pages (prior to reading the thread mentioned above), I found what appears to be a shift rod o ring. This o ring is not shown or referenced in my OEM Yamaha Service Manual pages that showed lower unit removal/install nor for water pump removal/install.

I have attached pages for lower unit and water pump. On the Drive Shaft and Lower Case is where I found the o ring (part #5).

I did not notice the o ring, as I was not looking for it. I was following the diagrams in the service manual it when I did this service and it is not shown.

I believe the o ring is in there, as I did NOT turn the lower unit upside down and I did not see it come out when water pump plate was removed. After flipping pages in the manual, I found it under the Drive Shaft and Lower Case page (see attached pages); it is under the water pump plate.

Now Im curious.....wonder what would happen if the o ring is bad or missing?

It appears that the o ring is not a part that is regularly replaced as part of a water pump service. It made no refernce to replacing it under any water pump service information I could find.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
wp1.jpeg
wp2.jpeg
wp3.jpeg
wp4.jpeg
wp5.jpeg
wp6.jpeg
wp7.jpeg

I’ll reply here too… just in case you didn’t see my reply in my thread…

Disclaimer: I’m new to boats so please verify the following information… if the shift rod o ring was bad you would get water in the lower unit oil. If the o ring was missing you would get a lot of water in the lower unit oil…

Mine is an F25SWHC, 2018 (basically the same motor). Just did the pump on mine due to some sand ingestion.

The o-ring you speak of is not normally part of water pump service. The only time you have to deal with it is if you remove the drive shaft bearing/seal holder assembly (#17 on the parts breakdown) and if you have to go "that" deep into the lower unit, you're dealing with much more than an o-ring anyway. Doing just the pump, you are basically removing the cup and housing, impeller, key, and wear plate. Then you're just replacing with new stuff. The pump kit comes with all that plus the cup o-ring and water tube seal. It is a fairly simple procedure if you have any mechanical skill whatsoever. The worst part for many is putting the shift rod back together after you bolt the lower back onto the leg.

Latest posts