Short shaft/long shaft

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bradh

Reaction score
I have a tracker topper 1542. I put a suzuki 9.9 short shaft on it. I’ve gone through 3 water pumps since last august. My only thought is my motor sits too high. It’s listed as a 16.5” transom. I measure 17”. Should I of bought a long shaft? Any ideas?

Should be fine with your shortshaft motor. Is the impeller housing chewed up? Do you run in a sandy water?

Now that I’m looking at it I think it’s plenty deep. The cavitation plate is about even with the bottom of the boat. Must be a different issue.

No the water I run in is fairly clean. I was on a river today when it went but it was crystal clear.

You have some other issue.
Does the tell tale pee a steady stream of water? An impeller should last a minimum of 5 years

It doesn’t pee now but yes I check it very often. After a lot of reading it’s something to do with ventilation. Power cut out right before it burnt up. It’s happened randomly a few times but I stopped and it was still peeing. This time it wasn’t so I shut it down. My cavitation plate is even with the bottom of the boat. Maybe I don’t have it trimmed low enough? I don’t think I would be burning up impellers from being trimmed one hole too high though. I definitely think it’s sucking air.

nytebyte said:
Should be fine with your shortshaft motor. Is the impeller housing chewed up? Do you run in a sandy water?

The housing is melted. Can’t get the cup out. Ordered a new one. Had to do this each time. The pump was actually bad the first time I tan the motor. So this is actually the 4th time since last summer.

Bradh said:
I have a tracker topper 1542. I put a suzuki 9.9 short shaft on it. I’ve gone through 3 water pumps since last august. My only thought is my motor sits too high. It’s listed as a 16.5” transom. I measure 17”. Should I of bought a long shaft? Any ideas?

It is 16.5” I forgot transoms aren’t 90 degrees.

Bradh said:
nytebyte said:

The housing is melted. Can’t get the cup out. Ordered a new one. Had to do this each time. The pump was actually bad the first time I tan the motor. So this is actually the 4th time since last summer.

OOF, you have a bigger problem.

Could be a blocked outlet from the motor into the leg causing them to burn up. That water going into the leg cools the exhaust so the plastic pump wont melt.

Thats the only way I have seen them melt short of running them in the driveway without water.

Interesting. Thank you. Do you know how to check that or clear that line?

It’s crazy this can happen to an impeller in 30 seconds with the motor in the water.

Attachments

• F79C97A0-7991-41A3-BB0F-E16F8EE7EB9C.jpeg
    F79C97A0-7991-41A3-BB0F-E16F8EE7EB9C.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 290
Bradh said:
It’s crazy this can happen to an impeller in 30 seconds with the motor in the water.

Woah, thats a problem!

What does the top of the pump look like?

You may have a blocked passage in the lower unit if the top of the pump looks OK save for the race melted into the plastic, which it surely is looking at that impeller.

ETA: Is your pump melted like this or just melted internally?

If its only internally I would remove that grey part and look underneath for a blockage.

IMG_0841[1].JPG

The pump housing is melted inside. Couldn’t get the cup out. Outside looks ok. I’ll check that tomorrow. Thanks

I would say you have a blockage between the intake and the pump.

If not that, is there black soot inside the water tube going from the pump to the motor?

Also, with an impeller torn up that bad , and especially since this is a frequent occurrence you would want to think about pulling the head and checking all of the cooling water passages for impeller bits.

Pull t-stat cover, invert OB on side or other and shoot water up the water tube. Had a blocked 6hp once, full of salt, as used in saltwater then stored on its side. Filled the water passages in the head with white vinegar and let it sit for a few days, then used high pressure water to flush it out well. Worked!

But wait ... what? How many impeller housing does one need to burn up BEFORE they go asking for more help ... ? Not trying to beat you up, but ...

C'mon man!

:wink:

DaleH said:
Pull t-stat cover, invert OB on side or other and shoot water up the water tube. Had a blocked 6hp once, full of salt, as used in saltwater then stored on its side. Filled the water passages in the head with white vinegar and let it sit for a few days, then used high pressure water to flush it out well. Worked!

But wait ... what? How many impeller housing does one need to burn up BEFORE they go asking for more help ... ? Not trying to beat you up, but ...

C'mon man!

I’ve been trying different things each time. Your solution is the stupidest I’ve heard.

Bradh said:
DaleH said:

C'mon man!

I’ve been trying different things each time. Your solution is the stupidest I’ve heard.

Easy now, its cabin fever season...

I can believe his solution worked for that particular problem, but I would more concerned with bits of impeller vaines right now.

As to strange suggestions, I lost two new water pumps two years ago due to a bad head gasket, which is why I asked about soot in your water pipe.

That one was a head scratcher and a lot of people couldn’t wrap their head around it and thought I was nuts.

But two brand new impellers with no more than a half hour on each, black residue all around in the water passages in the head and the water tube told me what happened.

Proof of the above, wasnt sure when i hit post that I had it on this phone.

You can see the exhaust residue in the water passages. That coupled with the burnt up pumps and....starnge but true.

F066D100-797B-4F4C-84E0-0994F68D88AE.jpeg

View attachment 1

Attachments

• D007DAD3-2204-4878-A54D-6A7A4F795523.jpeg
    D007DAD3-2204-4878-A54D-6A7A4F795523.jpeg
    365.5 KB · Views: 225
Bradh said:
Sorry you took offense ... :)

But yeah, you're right ... =D> whereas I've only repaired 100s of OBs ... whilst you're still on your 1st ... :roll:

Bradh said:
Your inlet from the foot to the impeller is plugged and the pump is running dry if it burns up that bad in 30 seconds. Now your going to have to flush the entire cooling system to find out where all the rubber pieces went.

And if you want help, don't criticize peoples suggestions .

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

That pump hasn't seen water. Not familiar with that motor but is it possible the pump base plate might be upside down? If the pump was running with a flooded suction condition it would not look like that so soon.

...glad I kept my aluminum pump housing on my '76 15hp...

Latest posts