Short shaft/long shaft

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
does your suzuki have a water flush hose? Do you run the engine out of the water, using the flush hose adapter?

On a lot of yamaha's, they have that flush adapter on the side of the lower pan. People think that if I'm forcing water into the adapter, it's cooling the engine-and that's correct. BUT...there is very little (if any) water getting to the impeller, so in about 2 minutes, the combination of exhaust passing over the impeller housing + lack of water, the impeller/housing get burnt up. I have done it and I have seen it. I didn't even think about them not getting water to the impeller through the flush adapter! But I now know. Sharing that knowledge, for what it's worth.

If you continue to have no water coming out of your exhaust port on the impeller will continue to burn them up.

A standard shaft engine is 15 inches, a long shaft is 20 inches and an extra long shaft is 25-26 inches.

You want the cavitation plate to be slightly under the bottom on the transom.

Check for blockage. Bees nest sometimes in engines. Blow out the outlet hose. Try some compressed air.

When you install your water pumps, do you grease everything? Are you sure you aren't spinning the impeller the wrong way when installing? Spin it backwards with no lubrication, and you can get what you see - melted plastic.

Could be salt blockage, which vinegar may fix, as Dale stated, or it could be exhaust blowing the water out of the cooling system, or it could be user error, or it could be something else.

if that happened in 30 seconds while the motor is in the water, that must be some kind of record.

Is there a transducer or anything on the bottom of the boat anywhere ahead of the lower unit. Got a picture of the transom area?
Shoot a picture of the side of your gearcase as well.
You can have a thermostat packed with whatever and that will not burn up a pump. As long as the pump is pumping water it should remain cool no matter what is blocked above it. Most water tubes have a drilled pinhole that shoots a bit of water on the exhaust in addition to the water that dumps out of the powerhead. Melted pump housings are an indication of a total lack of cooling water to the pump.
Do you ever start the engine out of water prior to going out in the boat?
Are you doing these pump repairs on your own or having a shop do them?

You definitely need a O B mechanic to clean out ALL the water passages.............. We now all know why the motor was sold..