Short shaft motor on a long shaft boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaugh

Reaction score
I had asked this question on another thread and nobody seemed to be sure what the answer was. If you mount a short shaft kicker motor slightly offset from the center it functions perfectly well as long as the cavitation plate is below the edge of the transom of a V bottom boat.

I simply mount my short shaft motors in this position:
IMG_0091.JPG

IMG_0084.JPG

This functions 100% and the boat still tracks very straight. It's perfect for me because I now have the capability to use any motor on the same boat. This weekend I let the 53 Scott Atwater out of the garage for a day... It's nice to just use the smaller motors when I don't feel like lugging the 35 out...
IMG_3268.JPG

I think the only issue is getting enough water into the motor to keep it cool, so as long as that happens keep on boating. I have a short shaft 15 hp that ill be trying out on my big boat, The centre of the prop will likely be even with the bottom of the transom maybe if im lucky. Only going 2-3 mph, so still lots of water. Its only pushing the boat and the bow trolling motor will be steering.

I was surprised when I mounted it in the center. I thought I could just go slow and the prop would get enough water but I was wrong. A 7 1/2 horse motor couldn't even go above idle without starving.... but once I moved it offset far enough for the cav plate to be in line with the hull it worked 100%.

Shaugh said:
I was surprised when I mounted it in the center. I thought I could just go slow and the prop would get enough water but I was wrong. A 7 1/2 horse motor couldn't even go above idle without starving.... but once I moved it offset far enough for the cav plate to be in line with the hull it worked 100%.

I would have thought the same thing. Thanks for sharing.

I have a deep boat, with 25 inch sides. An offset kicker motor with a long shaft makes it to the right position without a mounting bracket. A regular shaft motor would not be deep enough.

Latest posts