Sierrra &%@*X+!!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pappy

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
YOUTUBE
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=pappyfromthekeys
Just had a young man of about 17 come by the house that lives in the neighborhood and likes to fish. That in itself is pretty amazing these days. Said he and his Dad just tuned up their 1970 Evinrude 4hp and it was not running correctly. Told him to drop it by the house and I will look at it.
Long story short - All Sierra components in it plus aftermarket plug wire.
Points did not line up
One new condenser dead already
Coil air gap different between the two coils at the center post.
Weak spark out of both coils.
Screw this! I replaced the entire ignition system with good used parts I had in stock plus new OMC condensers.
Replaced the ignition wire as well with OEM Belden cable and new coiled plug end terminals and boots.
New properly fitting boots at the coil high tension outlets.
My good used coils put out a hot blue spark at a 3/8" gap consistently with correct OEM components supporting them.
Engine ran like a watch and all that remained was to set the low speed mixture.
Showed him a short video of his engine running today. He was happy.
Got to help out a kid that loves to fish!!

I agree, we don't see too many of today's kids taking up fishing. We should do everything to help promote it.

And likewise, we don't see too many people trying to help out to the extent you did. My hats off to you sir. =D>

No Sierra lover here. Had issue with their parts on a '63 Sportwin and on Mercruiser parts. I try to avoid when I can.

The new OMC points are a joke to. Old ones laying around I have cleaned up and work but the new ones you cant set at .20 without modifacation

I have to agree. The originals were made in Turkey for decades and were pretty much perfect. They let that contract expire and tried to have them made here in the US. There are lots of OEM points out there that are not much better than Sierra. As of now I understand they are trying to get the points made in Turkey by the same manufacturer again.
I do the same thing. I have bunches of sets of used but near perfect 580148 points sets.

Good story.
I'm finding the price of the Sierra parts not so much of a deal anymore compared to oem. There are certain things I will skimp out on like basic gaskets etc with sierra, but then I'm stuck having to special order the parts when the oem part is in stock.. once you factor in $2/L gas for an extra trip to the dealer plus your time ( and down time) it's not worth it.

Sent from my SM-A526W using Tapatalk

Sierra gaskets are the only part of theirs I order now. OEM impellers are usually only a few bucks more so not worth the savings there and the Sierra carb kits are junk too.

I have had some success with Sierra parts but seen some issues as well. Where are you guys getting your OEM parts? I'm in Canada and if I order over the border, I get hit with a customs brokerage fee that makes it hard to break even on an outboard. So Sierra parts are what's readily available for me. None of the local marinas stock parts for 60's-80's and when I ask about ordering they look at me like I've got two heads!

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Weldorthemagnificent said:
I have had some success with Sierra parts but seen some issues as well.

Same. I’ve used their parts with no issues but my friend “Bone head” bought coils for me to install in a motor, think it was a 68 9.8 evenrude and the fitment was just impossibly bad.

Not even up to 3rd world “makeitwork standards.

I have had some success with Sierra parts but seen some issues as well. Where are you guys getting your OEM parts? I'm in Canada and if I order over the border, I get hit with a customs brokerage fee that makes it hard to break even on an outboard. So Sierra parts are what's readily available for me. None of the local marinas stock parts for 60's-80's and when I ask about ordering they look at me like I've got two heads!

Try evinrudeparts.ca in Mactier.. I think they have free shipping if order is over $89. I've ordered from them before and it didn't take long.

GYPSY400 said:

Try evinrudeparts.ca in Mactier.. I think they have free shipping if order is over $89. I've ordered from them before and it didn't take long.

Thanks!

Latest posts